electronic dog collar

Was wondering how hard it would be to make up one of these electronic dog collars.

https://www.dogmaster.com.au/dogtra-iq-plus-dog-training-collar-365m/

It just gives a buzz when controlled with a remote.

2 Likes

Hi Bruno,

I haven’t built any device that deliberately administers an electric shock and am not equipped to advise you on how you could do that safely without harming whatever was wearing it.
If you just wanted to give a buzz using a small vibration motor for feedback then that’s more straightforward and safer to build yourself.

Ultimately getting something that’s as rugged and waterproof as that device for less than the purchase price is going to be challenging as obviously a lot of product design has gone into it.

To give you a starting point I’d recommend you experiment at home with a vibration motor like this

or build your own using a DC motor with an offset weight on the shaft.

Making it remote-controlled can come later once you have worked out the size, weight, and power requirements to drive a sufficiently sized vibration feedback motor.

2 Likes

Excellent info, thanks for getting back to me. This vibration motor looks like it will be adequate. So to move along, it would require power/small battery setup and a remote. Is there a way to set up a remote that would have a range of say 200 mtrs ?

3 Likes

Hi Bruno,

A lot of vibration motors look bigger in the photographs than they actually are, personally, I’d get a motor and test it on a breadboard to make sure it’s got that strong buzz you’re after, as most will feel weaker than your phone’s notification buzz.

Then you can look at a battery setup, NiMH is probably safer than a LiPo battery and will fail less disastrously if water gets into your prototype.

Once you’ve got it powered by batteries then I’d look at integrating remote communications with something like XBees, Bluetooth, or Wifi.

There are 4 main parts to this project and all of them need to perform well individually before you can integrate them into one device:

• The buzzer needs to give strong feedback and have adequate power

• The communications devices need to have adequate range and reliability

• The battery must be robust and able to supply the buzzer and communications hardware

• The housing you use must be rugged and waterproof enough not to get damaged.

3 Likes