Flexystruder vs clip insert?

Hello - I am interested in acquiring a flexystruder to print flexible filaments on my Taz 6, but noticed some recent redirections and revisions to this component (v2) - how reliable is the v2 flexystruder? what caused it to version and how stable is the current version?

I also noticed someone posted a printable clip ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4743 ) that can be inserted in the standard tool head that enables printing with flexible filament - at $435 each for a flexystruder tool head vs. $0.50 for a printed clip insert (when contrasted against possibly damaging a standard tool head with the clip insert), would it be possible to explain the merits, drawbacks and potential pitfalls of each option?

Hi Malcom,

I’m not 100% sure about the clip, sounds interesting but I’d have to wait for @Graham or @Aidan to give you a better response

Hey, Malcolm, There was Lulzbot forum post on the same topic here.

The answer over on their forum was as follows:

The difference in version between V1 and V2 was due to 2 things. First, the hot end was changed from the older Buddaschnozzle style hot end to a hexagon all metal hot end. The Buddaschnozzle by default had a 0.5mm nozzle, the Hexagon ships with a 0.6mm nozzle to compensate for the smaller melt chamber area. They also removed the filament tensioner post from the V2, as it was apparently not useful. It is difficult to use the budda schnozzle with a machine that contains hexagon firmware, as the thermistors are incompatible, so you have to change the firmware to go back and forth. the V2 keeps the machine using hexagon hot ends.

The clip insert cannot damage your print head. Even if you got it wedged into the hobbed bolt, the hobbed bolt would just eat it. If you still want to try it but are worried, there are alternative extruder bodies that contain a section nearly identical to that wedge built in. 3.00MM filliament Wade's Reloaded Extended height Hexagon Mount Extruder by piercet - Thingiverse for example.

The flexystruder has a Teflon tube liner that allows for smoother flexible filament feed. You can print and make your own. You will need some speciality drill bits and Teflon tube from Mcmaster Carr, and a small drill press is required, but you can source all of that for under $100 assuming you buy a harbour freight mini drill press for $50, under $50 if you already have a drill press. Here are the complete step by step instructions. https://ohai.lulzbot.com/project/lulzbo … -assembly/

There also is another flexystruder. It is experimental. It is also fairly expensive to put together. It does feed with more force through the nozzle, though. An Improved Flexible Filliment Extruder by piercet - Thingiverse

Hi Aidan!

Thank you SO much for the help and the conversation today - I am very
excited to be up and running again & to have successfully eliminated the
irritating semi-automatic bed leveling situation, and I am also very
thankful for the tips pointers you provided that should help reduce the
occurence of issues in the future.

The tutorials you mentioned - I had a fairly detailed browse of the Core
website, but still couldn’t find the videos/information you had mentioned -
would mind terribly passing the specific web links to these tutorials over
to me when you are able?

Also, can you please let me know what needs to happen to repay you for the
new hot end & also what needs to happen to purchase a flexystruder toolhead
for my TAZ6, get it staged and shipped when you have a chance? (Possibly
bundling the whole situation into one transaction may be easiest, but I’m
not too fussed either way so I am happy to go with whatever works best for
you guys)

Last question (somewhat random) - can I print 1.75mm filament with the
standard TAZ6 tool head that I currently have installed? If so is there
anything that requires adjustment or that I need be aware of? If not, are
there other options available that would enable printing 1.75mm filament
from the TAZ6? I have noticed that 1.75mm filament options seem more
plentiful / cheaper than 3mm filaments during many of my recent internet
browsing/window-shopping sessions.

Thank you again so much for the assistance!

Cheers & best regards,

-Malcolm M.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to listen on all those pointers Malcolm. I hope you enjoy your printer now. The tutorials I referred to on the phone are all located in our tutorials module on the website. Here’s a link, though.

In regards to the payment information, @Graham might be able to sort that out with you. I believe you’ll just add a Hot-End kit + flexystruder to your cart and follow the yellow brick road.

The answer to your final question is Yes you can, however yes there are options you need configure to make it possible. The tutorials will cover it too but there’s a setting in Cura that will allow you to dial in a diameter for your filament.

Don’t hesistate to get in touch again Malcolm, I’m always up for a chat in regards to 3D printing.

Glad to hear you’re back on track @Malcom17909. All the best with your projects and please do share them with us!

All good re parts. Moving forward, bear in mind the TAZ 6 is one of Earth’s most trusted and recommended printers. From my experience if something isn’t working the way I expect, more often than not it’s due to something I’ve overlooked. I tend to have that effect on things in general.