GlowBit™ Matrix - 8x8 (CE08033)

Thanks,

I am running WLED, I just set each panel as it’s own segment. I didn’t know you sold that acrylic. I might have to get some. I’m redesigning the box. I’ll allow the 2.6mm for the acrylic.

2 Likes

I’ve designed a new case to allow for the 2.6mm for the acrylic you posted. I’ll order some today as well as a microphone to wire in so it’s sound reactive. :grin:

3 Likes

Hi Aaron,

I’m soooo keen to see it, how were you going to make it sound reactive?

1 Like

https://core-electronics.com.au/electret-microphone-amplifier-max4466-with-adjustable-gain.html

WLED beta v14 allows for sound reactive especially for matrix panels.

1 Like

A nice and neat little VU meter using these panels. Has a small mic in the back.

3 Likes

Do you think this product could be substituted for the “neopixel neomatrix” in this project (DIY Light Sculpture - SparkFun Learn) or would the controller need to be changed as well?

Is there a nice tutorial that looks at daisy chaining multiple 8x8 Glowbits?

I’m forming a simple grid of them to display animations i.e.

x - x
|   |                     #Where each 'x' is a glowbit8x8
x - x
1 Like

Hey @Pixmusix :smiley:
The guide has a brief section at the bottom on tiling.
In short, a tiled matrix is initialised with the count of rows and cols. Then the X,Y dimensions are scaled approrpiately.

matrix = glowbit.matrix8x8(tileRows = 2, tileCols = 2)
2 Likes

Thanks Michael.

That’s my fault. I didn’t provide enough information in my initial post.

I’m interested in how to solder it all together.

• connecting what to what
  • how to keep it sturdy with only solder (???)

(Concerning software, I’m working in c++ and the FastLED library).

I’m more than prepared to find a software solution if required. But from what I understand there is a way to link glowbits in series so that they act as a strip?

1 Like

Hi Pix,

The soldering is a bit tough to see in the guide Michael linked:

The data pins highlighted make the array of matrices data flow across them as one big strip (single data in)

All of the other non data connections (not labeled) are made to act as extra support, if youre mounting this in an environment with lots of vibration you might want to add a more rigid mounting plate behind, there are mounting kits or you could even use hot glue!
Liam

3 Likes

Ah I missed that in the guide that @Michael linked!
That’s my fault @Michael I was too busy reading the code. So Sorry! :man_facepalming:

This is the kinda thing I think I was wondering existed!
Thanks Liam!

3 Likes

I have to do a project for school and have some questions. I would like to make a portable LED module for photography. The power supply would be a powerbank that outputs 3.6V I would power an ESP36 with this. In turn I would power your 8x8 LED matrix with the ESP32 board. Now my question is, is the matrix going to have enough power and is it going to draw too much current?
thanks in advance!

kind regards
Bram

1 Like

Hi Bram,

A good rule of thumb here would be to:

• Allow 60mA per LED at full brightness. You either need a very beefy battery (capable of at least 4A continuously) or to lower the brightness (and perhaps some project expectations). It’s important to note though that these are very bright at full brightness, like hurt-your-eyes bright. A good way to think about it is how much a modern LED bulb (perhaps only 5W) can put out.
  • Don’t involve any regulators. i.e. don’t run power through the ESP32 if you can, and definitely don’t try and tap into the ESP32’s 3.3V line for power, say. This will pop the regulator or send it into protection.
1 Like

Hi all, a different sort of question related to these kinds of products.

I came across the hardware licence at CE-GlowBit-Matrix-8x8/LICENSE.md at main · CoreElectronics/CE-GlowBit-Matrix-8x8 · GitHub and I was wondering about its implications.

For example, if I built a widget that incorporated a Glowbit 8x8, and some accompanying code to drive it from an MCU, I understand that the source code must include the software licence. That’s fine.

What is less clear to me is the following scenario: Let’s say I wanted to incorporate this hardware into a chassis of some sort, perhaps accompanied by some other components, and then sell it online as a novelty widget that I make: Am I required to attribute the device (either entirely or partially) to Core Electronics, and apply the same licence under ShareAlike? I just want to understand what the obligations are.

Appreciate any clarification you can give! :slight_smile:

Hi @PaulFOF - if you are going to use the off-the-shelf product in your design then there are no concerns. Just like you would purchase off the shelf motors and microcontrollers to build a product.

Licensing pertains to if you use the design files in the creation of your own project - eg. you download the KiCad files, and heavily leverage the schematic + PCB file to expand or remix the design.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the clarification @Michael.

I expected that was the intent (and totally makes sense), but I didn’t want to assume.

Cheers!

1 Like