How to operate DFR0506

DFR0506 display requires two plugpacks, one for the screen and one for the Raspberry Pi. The supplied HDMI plug is fitted.

The online explanations for activating touchscreen is too vague to follow. What has to be installed on the Raspberry Pi?

1 Like

Hi Geoff,

After having a read through the description it looks like the touch interface is connected via USB so you’ll have to use the USB port on your Pi to power and receive touch.

Just be sure to add/mod the following to config.txt when creating the image (you can do this in Windows)

• Enter /boot/config.txt, modify or add the project as below:
#### remove black borders
disable_overscan=1

#### set specific CVT mode
hdmi_cvt 1024 600 60 6 0 0 0

#### set CVT as default
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
1 Like

Thanks for replying.

I have tried all those suggestions. The display only works when it has its own separate power supply, via the display’s USB socket. When it has started up, I have swapped over to the Pi USB and it continues to work.

I still do not understand how to activate the touchscreen ability.

1 Like

Hi Geoff,

What are the current ratings of the plugpacks you are using? I expect that display with the brightness turned all the way up is probably too much load when combined with the Raspberry Pi, unless your PSU is pretty beefy.

I am using the supplied Raspberry Pi model 3B plugpack rated at 5.1 volts 2.5amps. This is the white one supplied with a standard Pi.

1 Like

Hi Geoff,

Excellent, thanks for confirming, checking the power supply is often step 0 for these kinds of things.

That display can operate as a basic HDMI display using just the HDMI port as video input and the USB as a power supply, but this setup won’t have touch functionality.

The touch-sensor information is fed back to the Pi via the USB interface so to get touch control working with the Pi you will need to connect the display via USB and HDMI and let the display draw power via the Pi’s power supply.

Finally, if you are using Raspberry Pi OS you will need to edit the config.txt file on your SD card so that it matches the lines in @Liam120347’s post.

If you’ve done all these steps please send us a photo of your setup. If it’s still not working and we can’t spot why from your photo, we can replicate your setup here using stock from the warehouse and try and work out what’s missing from the equation.

1 Like

Hi, is this of any help?

7-DFRobot’'_HDMI_Display_with_Capacitive_Touchscreen_SKU__DFR0506#target_3

Trent,

Latest testing of the display gave the following results:

PiZero worked as described

Pi Model 4 worked as described

A different Pi model 3 worked as described.

All were tested using the White Raspberry Pi-supplied plugpack (5.1V, 2.5A), and a USB cable from the display USB socket to a USB socket on the Pi.

Thanks for assistance. I hope this information will be useful.

Geoff.

2 Likes

Hi Geoff,

I’ve setup a DFR0506 touchscreen on the bench here just to double-check there isn’t something odd with the batch or a configuration step that is missing.

I’ve managed to get it running with a Pi 3B, with the Official Pi micro-usb supply.
My setup used Pi OS Bullseye with the extra few lines added to the config.txt

Can you send us a photo of your setup? I’m not sure what could be causing your touch-sensing not to work with what you’ve described.

1 Like

Trent,

My set up is exactly as your as per the photos.

I haven’t followed up on activating the touchscreen function yet as other projects have taken priority.

My issue was not understanding the instructions for installing the touchscreen function on to the Pi. I will make another attempt at activating the touchscreen function at a later time. I will let you know of the progress then.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Geoff.

rom: Trent via Core Electronics Forum notifications@core-electronics.discoursemail.com

2 Likes