Im trying to make a headset to communicate between motorcycles

hi, newbie here. I’d like to make an audio communication device so me and my son can talk to each other when we are traveling on our motor bikes. there are some retail options, but they are very expensive. does anyone have any recommendations please?

1 Like

Hi John
For a start how far apart are these motor bikes likely to be. That will dictate pretty much what sort of radio communications will be required.
Cheers Bob

Thanks for your reply.
Usually it would be around 200 metres but occasionally more. I would think that a way to automatically re connect if we went too far apart then returned to normal distance

Hi John,

Radio is not an easy task IME, could you share examples of commercial units so we know what a system like that entails?

Do you have any previous radio or electronics experience?

Hey, just wanted to add this, great scott made this awesome video a while back showing a custom circuit (I believe there is two videos now) about making walkie talkies for the exact same reason! I do believe his were quite bad, but im fairly certain that his discord, and/or the comments on the video could give you a starting point, but it depends if you plan to make a fully custom circuit, or if you want to use (for example) an esp32.

Hi James

You did not get much response there did you. John must have sorted his problem.
One could wonder sometimes why bother.
Cheers Bob