Just got raspberry Pi 4 8 gig and Nespi 4 case but no joy it's dead

I hooked up the Pi inside the case put in my SD card and no lights or indicators, not sure what I have missed here but nothing seems to be working. Using the oficial Raspberry Pi power supply as well. Will take it apart again see if I have made any mistakes but so far no joy.

2 Likes

Sounds like it could be a DOA, I’m sure the Core team will help you out if so.

Are you able to test the official RPI PSU on another device (even try charging a phone or something similar) to test it out.

2 Likes

What operating system is setup on the uSD card?

Does the same uSD boot on another RPi?

1 Like

It was the 8 pin connector on the Nespi case. It’s got two missing pins and is supposed to go on the end of the GPIO pins on the Pi but the way it is labeled I had it round the wrong way. Turned it around and everything is now working. Now to figure out how to boot from an ssd and format that as my drive.

It’s all working now not but for a silly mistake on my part.

4 Likes

I’m using standard raspian till I can get the hang of it . I really want to use the SSD I have in the case as my main drive so will learn how to do that instead.

4 Likes

heres the rpi guide to flashing the boot rom from different devices… i used 0x4 from mem

2 Likes

If I am right all you need do is do a full-upgrade and it will install the latest boot rom. If you have an SD card running of course.
sudo su
apt update
apt full-upgrade

Use the Raspberry Pi os writing software to write RPi OS to the SSD or Noobs and you are good to boot from USB. No need to worry about formatting the SSD etc just use the tool to write the image.

1 Like

Apt-Get/Apt Full-Upgrade

full-upgrade is the same as dist-upgrade so we can use both command interchangeable.

2 Likes

OK thanks guys. I’ll see how I go. I have a few guides printed so I’ll see how that goes.

3 Likes

Sounds like a plan John,

Make sure to let us know how you go with it or if you have any questions, we’re here to help :grin:

2 Likes

it`s up to you if you if you want to do an update via command line or via the gui interface…
i always run my updates via a command prompt either in a console or terminal.

uname -a

apt update && apt full-upgrade

uname -a

reboot

uname -a

take note of the kernel version
.if you follow the above code you will see that it has downloaded the packages and installed them.
but it cannot replace the new kernel whilst the system is running.
therefore it must reboot for the new kernel to run correctly
…i found different out comes so this leaves me guessing at this fact.

if you do this via the gui software updater…this occurs differently
if it updates the kernel it will prompt for a reboot…if no kernel was updated… it will not ask for a reboot.

1 Like