Raspberry 4 1GB not booting

I have recently received my Pi and have not been able to get it to boot.
I have tried all the suggestions i can find. I am using a power supply, HDMI cable, preloaded- mico SD all supplied by Core.

I have tried another microSD.

The activity light has never lit up/ flashed/ showed any signs of life. Has only ever had the red power light on.

I tried to “reprogram the EEPROM” as suggested on the raspberry Pi website (https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/) still nothing from the activity light.

Any help please?

Thanks Bevan

Hey Bevan,

I’d recommend doing a fresh install of NOOBS on your SD card and ensure that it’s formatted correctly. As all Pi’s are tested extensively in manufacturing unless there’s some kind of major random errors every Pi should boot when setup correctly.

Have a great day!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

Thanks for your reply mate. i have tried a new install of NOOBS on a different SD card. The card was formatted.

Should add still didn’t work.

Hey Bevan,

Sorry to hear that. If you can send us an email at support@coreelectronics.com.au I’ll continue this troubleshooting with you and grab some more details about your issue and we’ll sort out a way to organize a solution to this problem. All the best with your projects!

Bryce

What Bryce didn’t mention was this.

" If your Raspberry Pi 4 will not boot, it is possible that the SPI EEPROM has become corrupted."

There is a download there to try which will repair the EEPROM

1 Like

Hey Christopher,

Thanks. I’ll make sure to include this for future troubleshooting responses. Have a great day!

Bryce

Hi Chris, thanks for your help I had already tried this as I said In the original post but it didn’t respond in anyway. Thanks

My bad Bevan,
I didn’t notice that part at the end of your post, Doh!

Hope you get it resolved soon, am sure Bryce has you well in hand.

Hello Bevan,

Did you end up fixing the reboot issue? I have purchased a Pi 4B which worked for a few days then would not boot up. Only a red LED and that’s it. I bought a second Pi 4B 2GB to replace the first. I successfully set it up. Did one reboot during the setup successfully. Then shut it down but could not boot up again. Exactly the same situation. Red LED on no Green LED at all. The thing to note is before setting up the second Pi 4B I inserted the micro SD card from the first and it booted ok. So it leads me to believe there is a serial hardware defect on the Pi 4B boards. Although your post is old, if you get this message then it would be good to know how you went. Regards, B

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum! If you connect up a monitor is there any sort of error that appears on the screen?

1 Like

Hi Jack, there is no screen activity. It is though the Pi4B is dead with only a red LED on. Absolutely no green LED activity (no flash codes, zero). What I did not mention was I have two Pi 3B’s I have been using but wish to use the 4B for better performance. I have simply transferred all keyboard/mouse/HDMI/USB memory etc across to the new Pi 4B prior to power up. The Pi 4B was inserted in a 3D printed housing so has not shorted on anything. As mentioned the first Pi 4B worked for several days. Shutting down every day or so. It experienced multiple normal startups. I shut down normally. Five minutes later I turned it back on and red LED only. The replacement Pi 4B latest about 30min. All looked great. I shut it down. Went to boot up and zero.

Regards,

Brian

1 Like

To clarify ‘shutting down’ is a normal shut down for the night. Each Pi 4B operated perfectly until failure.

B

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Just wanted to confirm, when restarting your Pi do you cut power to it to reboot?
It might be worth flashing a fresh card to ensure that the PI has the absolute best chance to boot.

Liam