LED Display for year 12

i need to buy components to make this: 32x16 RGB LED matrix display with Arduino UNO microcontroller | DFrobot - YouTube

can someone please help me im really struggling

2 Likes

Hi Max,

It looks like the video is referencing one of these 32x16 RGB LED Matrix Panel (6mm pitch) | DFRobot DFR0471 | Core Electronics Australia There’s some documentation over here 32x16_RGB_LED_Matrix_-_6mm_pitch_SKU_DFR0471-DFRobot

You need a UNO, the tutorial uses the DFRduino UNO R3, but any of the UNO boards should be fine. Uno R3 | Core Electronics Australia or Arduino Uno R3 | A000066 | Core Electronics Australia

For power the matrix needs 2A @ 5V, you also need to power the UNO, something like this 5V DC 4A Fixed 2.1mm Tip Appliance Plugpack | AM8911B | Core Electronics Australia would give you enough power (it’s a shame the UNO only accepts 7V -12V in it’s barrel jack)

Alternatively you might be able to use this Raspberry Pi 4 Power Supply (Official, Black) | Core Electronics Australia it gives 3A then SparkFun USB-C Breakout | BOB-15100 | Core Electronics Australia to break out the power and then use it for the matrix and the UNO

Hope that helps

2 Likes

Hi Max,

@Doug27394 Has made an excellent response already, the only thing I’d add is that if using barrel jacks, you may need some barrel jack adapters. I’ve tested that one with the spade terminals that come with that LED panel, and it forms a good enough connection for short-term use, long-term you’d best look at bootlace ferrules, or just careful stripping and twisting of the wires.

Arduino do not recommend powering an Arduino directly from the 5V pin, so powering it via USB, and only connecting a common GND between the Arduino and the display would be the best idea IMO:

1 Like

Hi Doug i have no idea how to do any of this if im honest but i need to do it for a year 12 project would you consider doing some zooms and teaching me?

if so let me know im willing to pay

Kind Regards,

Max

1 Like

Hi james i have no idea how to do any of this if im honest but i need to do it for a year 12 project would you consider doing some zooms and teaching me?

if so let me know im willing to pay

Kind Regards,

Max

1 Like

Hi Max, sorry, happy to help out a bit on this forum, but I don’t have time otherwise.

It might be helpful if you explain what you’re trying to do. Also your level of experience with electronics and programming.

If it’s the electronics you’re struggling with then perhaps an all in 1 item would be better, something like this Galactic Unicorn (Pico W Aboard) | Pimoroni PIM631 | Core Electronics Australia? It’s not 16x32, but rather 53x11 (more LEDs, but different aspect ratio), you can, probably, just plug it in, flash the firmware (https://github.com/pimoroni/pimoroni-pico/releases/download/v1.19.14/pimoroni-picow_galactic_unicorn-v1.19.14-micropython.uf2), and start coding in thonny. They also have a bunch of examples over here pimoroni-pico/micropython/examples/galactic_unicorn at main · pimoroni/pimoroni-pico · GitHub to get you started

2 Likes

Hi Max,

Since you’re probably outside the price range of a fee-for-service business, your best bet I think would be to search for local makerspaces in your area, they usually offer help to members.

All the best with your project, and do get back to us with specific technical questions if you like, we can absolutely help with that!

2 Likes

Hi again Max,

I just saw this got posted WiFi GlowBit Matrix Control with WLED and ESP32/ESP8266 Dev Boards – Make Pixel Art with No Code! - Tutorial Australia

This looks like it might be the right kind of thing, good details on how you set it up, a list of all the parts and a no code solution. Step by step. Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Doug

3 Likes