Multi-Colored Heat Shrink Pack - 3/32 + 1/8 + 3/16 Diameters (ADA1649)

This is a placeholder topic for “Multi-Colored Heat Shrink Pack - 3/32 + 1/8 + 3/16 Diameters” comments.

Heat shrink is the duct tape of electronics which I guess makes this heat shrink the colorful and exciting duct tape they sell at craft stores. This heat shrink…

Read more

1 Like

Can you use a quality hair drier on heat shrink?

1 Like

Hi Pix,

With low enough airflow and high enough heat… maybe? I’ve never done it.

I tend to use a very close soldering iron because I am lazy, but in better-equipped labs I’ve used one of these hot air guns to great success:

Considering how you are moving towards PCB design, I think a hot air gun will come in handy for you for that too!

2 Likes

Good to know. Maybe something if I start to need to heatshrink often.

Isn’t that when you make your custom boards? Like this? I’ve seen concept in KiCad but I have no idea what to do with it yet. Good to have the advanced warning that PCBs are in my future somewhere. :yum:

1 Like

Hi Pix
If it were hot enough it would be quite dangerous as a hair dryer. In fact most quality hot air guns have a notice on them specifically saying NOT to use it as a hair dryer.
So the short answer, Not recommended.

I have a hot air gun which will happily melt solder, like max 600ºC. Never use it at that extreme. A small word of advice if using such a tool. Never use a nozzle smaller that that which is supplied with the tool. I have experienced it a few times where the nozzle size had been reduced in an attempt at a more localised air flow with the result of a burnt out element due to over restricted air flow over it.

I also have a “Portalsol” gas tool which I use pretty exclusively for small heat shrink. This has a hot air tip that will provide a quite small localised hot air stream. It is in the Jaycar catalog as TS1318. Fairly expensive but a good investment if wishing to have a more professional finish instead of burning everything in sight. It is quite convenient in operation even on a turn on/turn off basis as it is easy to ignite and heats very quickly.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

Seems like HeatGuns or similar are the go to product.

I don’t think I can justify this purchase yet… maybe later.
In the mean time, is a lighter ok (even if it is a bit messy).

2 Likes

Mind your fingers
Cheers Bob

3 Likes