New raspberry pi 3b+ not light up

Hi all,

I recently bought a Pi3 Model B+ from core electronics and received it from Australian POST.

The board unfortunately does not light up (which I’ve tested on my Pi 2 with the same SD card with fresh Raspbian). The red light keeps red and not blinking. The power supply is of good quality (5v 2amp Apple ipad changer). It seemed that this board is faulty.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Jeffrey,

This sounds like a classic old OS issue; older versions of Raspbian/NOOBs will not work in the 3B+

You’ll need to update your old OS from the RPi2, or, create a fresh uSD card using the latest version

Here’s a guide:

Hi Graham,

Should try Raspbian Stretch at first place! Just baked a new Stretch on a fresh SD card, which booted successfully on Pi 2, but still no luck with the Pi 3 B+. The green light next to the red never flashed while connected to power…

Regards
Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

So that we’re on the same page, can you share the results of this command (from the RPi2):

uname -a

Hi Graham,
uname -a returns
Linux raspberrypi 4.14.50-v7+ #1122 SMP Tue Jun 19 12:26:26 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for that info! You’ve done what you can to figure this out on your side. I’ve sent you instructions to return the RPi to us, so we can test it using official hardware and replace it if need be.

Thanks Graham for the prompt response.
I’ll send it over shortly!

Regards

Jeffrey

1 Like