Pi 3, Pi Cam V2, Octoprint HELP

Hi everyone, looking for some help here.

I have a Raspberry Pi3 setup running octoprint using the octopi image flashed directly to the Pi’s SD.

Everything runs fine however I got a PiCam v2, plug it into the camera ribbon cable slot, reboot the system and I cannot get an image to show up.

I tested an old logitech USB webcam in the Pi’s USB slot and after rebooting with that plugged in I straight away get an image in octoprint.

I’m at my whits end right now.

If anyone has experience with Octopi or just Raspberry Pi and Cam’s in general i’d appreciate any help.

This is octoprint - http://octoprint.org/download/

Cable orientation pictures.

-Thanks.

I’m sure @Aidan can lean in here, he recently finished an OctoPrint setup.

Just to isolate the problem, can you please create a Python script with the following code, and run that:

from picamera import PiCamera
from time import sleep

camera = PiCamera()

camera.start_preview()
sleep(10)
camera.stop_preview()

This will preview an image from the camera for ten seconds and requires a monitor to display the preview on.

2 Likes

Octopi doesnt have a desktop as such, everything is done through a Web UI or SSH commands. Will this be an issue for that test?

Hi Daze,
I’m not sure about Octopi, but perhaps just create a Raspbian card so you can test out that Camera board as Michael suggested.

1 Like

Hey Dazed,

Great suggestions from Michael and Sam above, it’s probably worth taking the time to verify that the camera board is working before troubleshooting any further.

In any case, I’d probably run a “sudo raspi-config” command at the terminal and ensure your Camera is enabled in that setup view (it should be by default if you are running the latest version of OctoPi). Apart from that, re-double check the flex cable connections between your camera board and Pi. While you are at it, check the small cable connector on the Pi Board itself (it can come loose and prevent the camera from working).

Let us know how you get on.

1 Like