PiicoDev Adapter for Micro:bit (CE07688)

This is a placeholder topic for “PiicoDev Adapter for Micro:bit” comments.

Connect your Micro:bit with the outside world using PiicoDev® Adapter for Micro:bit. With this adapter you can experiment with sensors from the PiicoDev range giving your Micro:bit new sensing abilities.

Read more

1 Like

PiicoDev Starter Kits

As a volunteer, teaching coding at the local primary school for the past 4 years I was delighted to see the introduction of the Australian designed and manufactured PiicoDev Starter Kits and in particular the Micro:bit kit. I was surprised to find the PiicoDev adapter for Micro:bit SKU CE07688 has only the large alligator clip pins on the edge connector. This restricts experiments to the sensors within the 4-wire cable connection system and a few experiments using alligator clips.

I have always found that the Micro:bit alligator clip based experiments under estimate the ability and creativity of the average primary school student.

I have purchased many Micro:bit related boards from Core Electronics including the Pimoroni PinBetween board and the Kitronix view32 display board. These boards allow flow through connection of the Micro:bit edge connector and therefore allow the connection of many items to the Micro:bit. The PiicoDev adapter for Micro:bit does not allow this flow through connection to happen.

How do I connect 16 servo motors to the PiicoDev kit for Micro:bit? as an example of something my students do regularly with other Micro:bit boards and systems.

I therefore urge Core Electronics to consider a V2 of the Micro:bit PiicoDev adapter that includes as much flow connectivity as possible to provide the maximum opportunity for students to create and learn. My students want lots of sensors , displays, servo motors and the ability to connect them without alligator clips.

Keep up the great work and keep up the design and manufacturing in Australia. Best regards

Phil Brown

5 Likes

Hi Philip,

Sounds like you are exactly the kind of person these kits were designed for. I’ll let our product development team know about your thoughts on a version 2 adapter.

3 Likes

Hi Trent,
Thank you for the response. Hope my comment helps.

Best regards

Philip

2 Likes

Hey @Philip49445! Thanks for your feedback! We totally agree and are mid-flight on a design right now!

The adapter for Micro:bit was always intended to ‘unlock’ using the PiicoDev ecosystem as simply (and cheaply!) as possible. We’re already working on a separate board for more advanced projects that still includes a handy PiicoDev connector.

When the new design is ready I’ll be sure to update this post with a link.

5 Likes