Pro Micro not connecting to Mac

Hi,
So I just bought a Sparkfun pro micro and tried to connect it to my computer and the IDE.
I installed the libraries or something from the guide (Pro Micro & Fio V3 Hookup Guide - SparkFun Learn) but when plugging it in, the “select board” thing only shows bluetooth and wlan-debug, not any arduinos.
I am on an M1 Macbook running Ventura 13.4 using arduino IDE 2.1.0 and the adapter I am using is the Apple AV Multiport adapter (https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MUF82ZA/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter).
Anyone know how to make it show up?
Thanks,
DaPotato69

That indicates that the part of the procedure that didn’t work was the part starting " Board Installation - Using the Board Manager" and ending " Example 1: Blinkies!". The automatic installation should work so you can skip the manual installation part (AFAICT the repository still exists). When the Board Manager is open you need to filter by ‘Sparkfun’ and select “SparkFun AVR Boards”. Your board will be listed within that group. Note that the existing ‘Board’ menu item might show something other than “Arduino” depending on what’s already installed, but you should be able to open the Board Manager anyway.

If you don’t see the Sparkfun AVR boards at that point then you didn’t update the repository URL into the “Additional Board Manager URLs” text box correctly.

If you found the right Sparkfun board in Board Manager and installed it then it should be listed as a submenu item under the ‘Board’ item. It might be a generic heading for another submenu, (eg, ‘Sparkfun AVR Boards’) or it might list your particular board.

Installing a board installs the core libraries for the board, and no additional library installation is required in order to get the basic examples. Although that description is written for a very old version of the IDE, it is still correct for 2.x.

I have the board selected, it just doesn’t connect to my computer

Hi All
Could it be the correct Port not selected???
Cheers Bob

Nope

It doesn’t show up

Do you mean that the “Select Port” thing is not showing your connected device?

What procedure did you use for installing the driver? How did you confirm that the driver is compatible with the multiport adapter?

Hi Ben,

It sounds like you’ve got the installation steps correct, so the options left are that the board is fault, or the multiport adaptor is messing with the driver software to prevent the COM port from appearing.

Do you have another cable option you can test with, just to try and rule out interference from the multiport adaptor as a possible factor? Unfortunately USB hubs and adaptors of this style have a tendency to mess with drivers and are pretty common causes for this kind of issue.

Alternatively if you had access to a different computer, even temporarily, you could rule out a lot of devices as being the cause of the issue. I’m not a mac user myself so I’m not sure how often Windows default drivers will play nice when you’re running in a mac environment.

EDIT: Something like this as an option would rule out a lot of the possible multiport adaptor weirdness USB C to Micro B Cable - 1 ft 0.3 meter | Adafruit ADA3879 | Core Electronics Australia

1 Like

New cable arrived (finally) - it works fine
Moral of the story: don’t use Apple’s multiport adapter
Thanks for the help everyone!

Hi Ben
I note there is a list of Mac devices on that link. Is your M1 MacBook OK with this adaptor. The latest device on that list seems to be 2019 although most on that list do say “and later”

I have an earlier Mac Mini (late 2014) given a new lease of life with a SSD. The reason is I think some of the programs I use will not run on the M1 processor. Particularly as I had Parallels (temporary, not any more) at the time and required an Intel processor.

The M1 chip may have had something to do with your problem but if so it a bit remiss of Apple not to say so.
Cheers Bob