Project by Greg; Math Scroller

I’ve just shared a new project: "Math Scroller"

I was looking for something educational to 3D-Print for my child in Thingiverse and came across the concept of the Math Spinner. I found the models lacked a method of checking the answer so I wanted to automate it. The core design is inspired by the ‘Math Spinner’ by FunFunBoy (Math Spinner by FunFunBoy - Thingiverse) and the ‘Math Spinner Enhanced’ by Pauloblank (Math Spinner Enhanced (fast print, no support) by pauloblank - Thingiverse).
The Math Scroller at its core, uses eight absolute encoders, a handful of 8-Bit I/O Expanders, and an Arduino Nano to read the values and check the answer function. A piezo provides some basic sounds and some RGB Leds are used to finish off the effects for a correct and incorrect answer.
From concept design to the completed unit, the project spanned several months of after-work hours. With many design iterations, excessive part purchases, and prototype failures along the way. In the end, the following tools would be required to repeat this project:

• 3D CAD Software (To make design changes)
  • Electronic Circuit design software (To make design changes)
  • Soldering Iron
  • 3D Printer - A dual-extruder printer with a 300x300 bed size (0.2 was used for layer heights and some supports were used on some parts.
  • Drill (drill bits for reaming holes and thread taps to help seat screws)
  • Wire stripper and crimping tools
  • Pocket voltmeter
  • A large Bread Board

Read more
3 Likes

Hey Greg,

Amazing project, I can see this being used by schools to help teach kids maths and make it a bit more interesting :smiley: The CAD work is something else, small areas for electronics to fit into, supportless printing - its got it all!

Keen to see what you and the community come up with next!
Liam.

1 Like