R PI model 3 A and B compatability

Hi Guys, I have a rpi 3 B+ image that we are trying to use on a rpi 3 A+. We bought the A thinking it would be very similar and the image would be compatible. Any ideas to get it working?
Thanks in advance!

Hey Ben,

Welcome to the forum!

How unusual, that image should be fine to run on both. I assume that you’re running Raspbian (Now called Raspberry Pi OS) and that shouldn’t be causing any incompatibilities between the two boards. I assume that you’ve already tried reflashing your card to the most recent suitable version to ensure that this isn’t some kind of issue caused by data corruption. Have you been able to run your 3 A+ at all since you purchased it? I suspect that the board may potentially be faulty.

Hi Bryce,

Thanks!

We are using Raspbian. I did use the Raspberri Pi Imaging tool to create a fresh Image and the board does work. I will have to try updating the Raspbian version and let you know how I go.

1 Like

Hi Ben,

Glad to hear you are having some success.
Running the commands:
sudo apt update
and
sudo apt upgrade

Should get you the latest versions of the kernel.

Liam.

Hi Liam,

When i try to do the upgrade i get an error,

“Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) …
Errors were encountered while processing:
udev
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)”

Any ideas what this means or how to solve it?

Did the upgrade otherwise complete normally? If so, try it in the 3A+ sometimes update errors are non-issues

Yes otherwise update completed, but it did not boot in the Pi A. When I plug power in the Green Action light does not flash.