Random R-Pi RP2040 Pico Thought Experiments

Hi Everyone,

Slowly making my way up the R-Pi RP2040 Pico learning curve by Mini Thought Experiments to gain a better understanding… learning by doing and problem solving when things don’t work first time.

3 Likes

Running two I2C channels to compare the data from dual PicoDev QMC6310 Magnetometers

5 Likes

Revisiting BASIC (after a few decades!) using PicoMite BASIC on a R-Pi Pico

references:

1. Geoff Graham - PicoMite Project Page
  2. Explaining Computers YouTube
  3. Hackaday Article 24-Nov-2021

Also uses a 4 LED board that can connect directly into an Extender board

3 Likes

Previous work with @James46717

sparkfun-micropressure-sensor-and-piicodev-unified-python-library

2 Likes

Ooops!

Re-routing the I2C PiicoDev cable from the Left connector (that has been used up to now) of an OLED SSD1306 module to the Right connector (for the first time) I managed to “wipe off” the socket…

Ho Hum - Time to practice using the soldering iron with the Very Small Tip!
Hope the solder will re-flow(?)

2 Likes

Hi Victor,

I’ve got a couple tips for hand soldering those connectors, First tack on one of the side mechanical connections, make sure the connector is flush(with it tacked you only have to reheat and push it down), then the other mechanical connection. Finally use a ton of solder to get the other 4 electrical pins soldered down - it doesn’t matter if there are any shorts, to remove them I get a solder sucker between the PCB and connector so there’s a bit of a gap.

Hope that helps if you have soldered if already!

3 Likes

What a doozy… Perhaps the connector body can be glued down first with eg. super glue before soldering - to provide the mechanical strength.

This is great :smiley: it’s really pleasing to see this (more advanced) feature of PiicoDev being used by makers. Even more pleasing to see the two sensors agree so closely :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Thank you for the guidance - I was wondering if super glue would be OK to improve things
I might flow a little glue under the other connector just in case.

The results were interesting - where I am considering a more careful re-run of the calibration process when I get further into the project. Rotating each sensor with all the cables isn’t that easy!.

I was wondering if there was a reference to more detail on the calibration process? - as there appear to be alternative schemes (such as 3 axis 90° flips) suggested for other I2C magnetometer sensors.

1 Like

Super Glue worked really well - was able to position the socket in its original position and then reflow. Worked first time!

Thank you @Liam120347 & @Michael for the suggestions.

3 Likes

3D calibration is supported by the PiicoDev calibration function too. Take a peek inside the calibration .log file and you ought to see z data in there.
In the tutorials, we focus on calibrating on the 2D plane since it’s a little easier for beginners to perform, and you can make a compass work most easily.

Our calibration method currently looks for the max and min for each axis and places the zero at the mid point between these points.

3 Likes

Thank you Michael…

Following your explanation I re-discovered The Factory video

Calibrating Magnetometers & Raw Data Applications - More than a Compass

where you explore the magnetometer data with Peter
…with the data plot to illustrate the “why” and the “what” of the calibration process.

… So I had already seen the answer to my future question
(wish my mind was better at storing and recalling such things!
Information overload and “Not seeing the wood for all the trees” :thinking: )

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes