Raspberry Pi 4 SD card not reading

Hi,
When I insert my SD card (which I have already added the raspberry pi OS too) into my raspberry pi and connect the power source, the red light comes on, but the green light only stays solid for about five seconds, and then it starts flashing. I’m trying to set it up headless, so I’ve added an ssh file and the wpf_supplicant file to the SD card as well. But it doesn’t seem to be connecting, and from what I’ve researched, if the green light isn’t stable, then it’s not reading the card properly. Does anyone know how to fix this?

1 Like

Hi Willow,

The flashing green LED is expected (its also known as the activity LED, flashing generally means something is happening. If this is your first Raspi setup I’d recommend tracking down a screen or TV if you have one handy so you can see it booting (first time setup can take some time).
I’d see what happens when you leave the Pi for a second to startup does (leave it up to 5 min), and also check the devices on your router to see if the networking comes online!

Hi Liam,
I’ve been trying to set it up headless because I don’t want to change the operating system on any of my devices, and after I’ve programmed it I don’t need to have it hooked up to a device because it’s going to control a robot. I’ve left it on for a while, and now the light’s mostly staying off but it will flash occasionally, I’ve tried counting the pattern but it seems completely random. It also isn’t coming up on my router page. The red light is still on.

Hey Willow,

For first time set up of a Raspberry pi that is headless, it is still definitely best practice to get it set up with a screen attached in case there are issues surrounding the wpf_supplicant file that you have included in the initial OS. It will also show if there are any other errors associated with the Pi directly. If you have any screen with a HDMI compatible connection (Most TVs are good enough) it would be a good insight into what may be happening with the Pi and can definitely save a lot of frustration in getting everything set up.

Give it a go and if there are any errors, let us know what they are so that we can help out and get it sorted for you.

Cheers,
Blayden

Hi,
I hooked it up to a monitor, and it does seem to be working, however the green lights still not on. I have noticed it comes on if there is no SD card though - is it possible that there’s just something wrong with the light?
This is an image of what came up when I powered up the pi.

I’m assuming this means the SD card is working, but I still can’t seem to find the IP, either from my router’s page or from using the terminal on my mac book. Does this mean I did something wrong with the wpf_supplicant file?

1 Like

Hey Willow,

Seems to be working fine, the green light may just intermittently flash when the Pi is running. You may need to set up the pi with it attached to the screen before you are able to connect headless. It will only be for first time set up, after that you should be able to connect without issue.

Go through the set up or check out this guide for a better way to get things set up.

Cheers,
Blayden

I’ve set it up and I am able to program it from the monitor, but because I need my code to run when the terminal isn’t on, that’s not working, so I still need to do headless. I’m trying to get it headless to my macbook, so I don’t know if that guide will work since I’m not using window. I’ve been trying to follow a few different guides for mac, but whenever I get to the stage where I have through ssh via the macs terminal, nothing happens. This is the tutorial I am trying to follow: