SoC : BCM2711
RAM : 4096Mb

My camera -
Raspberry Pi NoIR Camera Board v2 - 8 Megapixels
SKU - CE04422

I’m just starting to use it, and when i take stills using the command:
raspistill -vf -o test1.jpg

I get an image which is extremely red.
Please view the below gallery of the images i have taken using -awb settings, then -ifx saturation,

I don’t know a lot about photography or graphics, mainly want to implement an in-home security device.

I am under halogen downlights @2700K if that’s important.

Your assistance in pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Dave Mckay

Hi Dave,

Looks like it’s working perfectly. The NoIR stands for No Infrared filter - so particularly in your situation there will be lots of light in the IR band that will give your images a red tint.

The only way to fix it is to change to a different type of light; fluorescent or LED. You’ll have the same issue with all incandescents (including halogens).

That or buy a different camera. (Or set up a system that puts an ir filter in front of the camera automatically)

2 Likes

Hi Oliver,

That makes sense, I guess I did not understand the difference between the Raspberry Pi NoIR Camera Board V2 - 8 Megapixels (CE04422) and Raspberry Pi Camera Board V2 - 8 Megapixels (CE04421).

Is there any chance i could send back a NoIR and replace it with a standard one?

Kind regards,

Dave Mckay.

Hi Dave,

We’ll see what we can do, if you send through an email to support@coreelectronics.com.au we’ll get onto that for you right away. Although it’s worth noting that with a NoIR camera you can use IR lights such as those below and have a night vision security system.

All the best with your projects!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

H Oliver,
I have now tested the camera with no non-natural and only dim natural light and it is still tinged pink. I spoke with a colleague of mine who has been dealing with raspberry pis and different lenses for some time, and said that this is not what is expected.

I am going to test it on another board, and also test another noIR camera.

Ok sorry to have troubled you, the other noIR camera is doing the same thing. If i do -awb greyworld, the image is tolerable.

Thanks for your attention, I’ll make sure it’s a Raspberry Pi Camera Board v2 - 8 Megapixels next time I’m ready to buy one.

Kind regards,
Dave.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

No trouble at all! That’s what the forum’s here for, and if you’ve had a question you can pretty well guarantee someone else will have the same one. At worst, making a post here means you might help someone in future.

Good luck with your projects!

Regards,
Oliver
Support | Core Electronics

1 Like