Required Small profile Sockets

Hello team
I require small profile 3mm, 4mm or 5mm sockets to go in my protoboard

I currently have 8mm (marked in red)

if anybody could guide me where to buy these ?
Thank you a lot for your assistance

Might be easier if you stipulated how many pins/holes you want, also the pin pitch although they look like 0.1" or 2.54mm.
Cheers Bob

The ones in the picture are 3-pin socket and 8mm height

I require
1mm, 2mm or 3mm

whats the official name of these small sockets So I can google it ?

I don’t think you will find this header in anything other than 8mm, because it needs that length to house the connector.

2 Likes

Hey Nauman,

There’s a few options available, though most of them are suited for something like a HAT for the Raspberry Pi. I think you might struggle to find anything under about 5mm, as after that point you don’t get the most secure connection, however that may prove to be a little better than the 8mm profile you’re currently working with!

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi Nauman
I did not realise you meant the height of the socket.
About the lowest you will get if they are any use to you would be IC socket strips like Jaycar P16470, P164472 or P16473. Just cut off the number of pins required.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hi Nauman,

They won’t be compatible with the pin header sockets you already have on your protoboard, but if you were looking for a lower profile header solution you could try Swiss Headers. They aren’t cross compatible with standard 2.54mm pitch headers but are shorter and do have the same pitch spacing.

1 Like

These headers are available with long pins. Would it be possible to lower the whole PCB by 5mm, and then use headers with longer pins set at different offsets to get the different heights?

2 Likes

Hi Trent.
If you look closely they appear to be exactly the same as the Jaycar product I mentioned. Just called something different. I was not aware Core stocked them. And yes they are too small for the pins on what you cal “standard” (not sure what “standard” means these days) headers and I think they are more like a flexible IC socket. It is a bit difficult when even components can have different “leg” diameters.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

I only heard them referred to as Swiss Headers quite recently but it certainly helps to have a name to distinguish them when they have the same pin pitch as the square header pins most people are more familiar with.

That’s an interesting idea, could you take it a step further and have the female header sockets mounted on the reverse side of the protoboard (or more likely flip the protoboard) and have the headers come through with pass-through style female headers? I’ve seen female pass-though style header sockets on products like the PoE hat which allow them to be stacked when using extra-long male header pins. I’m not sure on the technical name for them, I’ll have a search and see if I can find an example.

EDIT: It looks like bottom-entry header sockets was the term I was looking for. Naturally they are surface mount instead of through-hole.
There is a bit of a sales pitch on them here: Bottom Entry Sockets | Products | GradConn

I can see digikey stocks them but I don’t think Core have them as they are pretty niche.

1 Like

Hi Nauman
I just had a look at Element 14 and RS Components and all header sockets listed are 8.5mm high. There may be smaller around but these 2 suppliers usually have anything you need. I use them as a sort of Bible as they publish data sheets for almost everything they stock.
Anyway 8.5mm is all I could find which is reasonable when you consider they have to accommodate the mating male pin which is normally about that long.
Sorry not to be of more help.
Cheers Bob

1 Like