RPi Dead On Arrival?

Hi all,

I recently received my RPi 3 and have not been able to get it up and going since. Here’s a run down of my gear and events so far…

Equip:
Raspberry Pi 3
2.5A R Pi 3 power supply
Brand new sd cards 16GB (1 x Sandisk 1 x Transcend)
Fresh format and image with NOOBS.

So, on power up there is NO activity on the board other than the stable red power light and the case fan running.
I have tried:

1. Other power supplies from my other R Pi’s and the new power supply on my old ones - no probs.
  2. Brand new SD cards with fresh NOOBS images downloaded directly from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ and tested on other Pi’s.
  3. Removing all peripherals from the Pi except for the power.
  4. Powering up with only power and HDMI connected (nothing on monitor at all but ok with other older Pi’s)

Does anyone have any more suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Goldy

Hi Goldy,

Sounds like you’ve done all the usual ‘things’ to fault find the Pi.

RPi Foundation have a nice write-up for troubleshooting and here is one of the first paragraphs: Every Raspberry Pi has been tested and shown to be working before it leaves the factory, so you can be confident that your Pi has booted successfully at least once! Manufacturing problems do happen, and it is technically possible that your Pi might be DOA. The chances of this being the case, though, are extremely slim. Raspberry PI`s do not usually stop working for no reason: in the majority of cases, not booting points to an issue with the SD card, not to a defective Pi. It is also important to note that the Pi might be booting, but there may be another reason why you are not getting video output.

Have you checked the ACT LED to determine if the Pi is booting? It would be worth checking all the scenario’s (both with and without the microSD card) to ensure you’re getting the expected ACT LED functionality.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, Ive been right through the Raspberry website and read the troubleshooting and newbie posts and suggestions. I’ve had R Pi’s for a few years now, so have a bit of experience with them.

As I mentioned in my first post there is NO activity on the R Pi 3 board (NO ACT LED at all) other than a stable red power led so a lot of the instructions are moot.

I have reformatted and re-imaged the SD cards and used them in other Pi’s with no problems. I have then reformatted and installed NOOBS, inserted the cards back into the Pi 3 and powered up with no activity again.

I don’t know what else to try, any suggestions?

Cheers,

Goldy

It’s great that you have other RPi’s to test with. FYI, the quite new, but not latest version of NOOBS for RPi 2 will not work on the RPi 3 - you need the actual-latest version and this is a common enough oversight for me to at least ask the question - have you used the latest version of NOOBS released post April?

If you have, then send an email to us, including your order number and a link to this topic.

I’m using NOOBS Version: 1.9.2 Release date: 2016-05-27 downloaded directly from www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

Is there another area for Pi 3 downloads only?

Is there another area for Pi 3 downloads only?

The same (latest) version works for both. Get in touch with our support team and we’ll go from there!

Ok, will do. Just for info - they pointed me to this forum.

Cheers,

Goldy

email sent with a link to my ticket.