School Project Help! Please reply ASAP!

Hi everyone, I’m a high school student currently studying STEM. For a school project, we have to come up with a way to monitor and control the temperature of a room. I need a little help, I have my idea but I don’t exactly know how to do it.

Does anyone know how (using basic arduino components and code) I can control the temperature of a room without having to make some elaborate air conditioning system. I’m completely new to this whole thing and I’m just not sure where to begin. I have some basic Arduino coding knowledge but its not that great so the simpler the better.

Thanks for the help!

Also if it helps, this is everything that I have access to.

• Arduino R3 Uno panels
  • Breakout boards for expansion
  • Breadboards
  • Pin/Socket wires in a number of combinations
  • Batteries - LiPo 2200mAh rechargeable
  • Standard air temp sensors
  • Distance sensors
  • Servos
  • 5v fans
  • LCD Keypad Shield For Arduino
  • Copper Tape - Conductive Adhesive, 5mm
  • Capacitive Soil Moisture Sensor
  • Waterproof DS18B20 Digital temperature
  • 5v-3vLogic Level Converter Bi-Directional
  • Bluetooth Module (HC-05)0
  • Mute Sounds Mini Submersible Pump DC
  • Breakout Board for microSD Card
  • LSM303D 3D Compass and Accelerometer
  • Basic 16x2 Character LCD
  • WiFi Module - ESP8266
  • Panel Mount 10K potentiometer
  • Potentiometer Knob - Soft Touch

A simple temperature measurement sketch with a relay output to turn a fan on and off would probably suffice? A short google will find a good number of examples out there in the wild. Let me know if you cant find something.

1 Like

Hi Augreim,

I’m not sure what you mean by “Standard air temp sensors” but here is a tutorial that might help you read the temperature with an Arduino:

Hey everyone!
I have a STEM project due very soon, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some help on my last minute project.
So basically, our task to design something which will minimise fluctuations in light and temperature in a plant. I was thinking of doing a Frangipani plant since it’s pretty easy to care for, requires at least 6 hours of sunlight, and loves the tropical hot climate.

I’m not totally unprepared though, I do have a design idea. I was thinking of doing a glasshouse design since the frangipani plant requires a lot of sunlight

/ \ <-- slanted sides
| |
---------- (basic outline of shape)
We also have to incorporate coding and an arduino into our design, which is exactly why I’m here - I have no idea how to code. So on the slanted sides of the glasshouse, I’m thinking of using a a sliding door or a mechanical flap. When the light comes up on the east, the left flap/door will open and allow for more sunlight to be absorbed by the plant. Then once the sun is on the right side, the left flap will close and the right side will open to trap the hot air (temp) while also allowing more light into the glasshouse. I think that these flaps will be timed to open at a certain time, but I think a temperature sensor will be situated outside and if the temperature outside is less than ‘x’ degrees, then the flap will not open to keep the hot air inside. On the top of the glasshouse, a fan will also be situated there. This fan will be switched on during the night to circulate the hot air around the room and will be turned on via a light sensor (when ‘x’ is less than ____ )
So what do you think? is there anything I can improve in on my design to minimise the flunctuations? or anything I need to change? I am open to any suggestions, thanks so much for you help.

Thanks!

Hi Augreim,

You could also take a look at this project:

1 Like

I am a Year 9 student who is taking a course in STEM - Science Technology Engineering and Maths. It’s my first assessment task and we have to find a way create a system, using basic arduino and code, to minimise fluctuations in temperature and light in a house, and I was hoping to utilise geothermal energy to heat and cool my house in different seasons, but I don’t know how to suck the air into the pipe in order to move it underground and then back up to the house once it is up to temperature. Does anyone know how I can do this? If you have any other ideas, I am completely open!! I just don’t know where to start!!! I have little to no knowledge of coding or how to use an arduino, so the more simple the better! Does anyone have any ideas about how to use geothermal energy to heat and cool a house?

Hi Augreim,

I think that geothermal energy might be a bit beyond the scope of what we can help you out with on this forum. Happy to help you read temperatures or control fans though!

1 Like