Seeking Guidance for Hyperion Project with PC and TV using ESP8266 D1 Mini

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out for assistance and guidance regarding a Hyperion project I am eager to undertake. As a beginner in this field, I am seeking your expertise to help me successfully implement this project.

My objective is to create a Hyperion project that involves connecting my PC and TV using the ESP8266 D1 Mini. I am excited about exploring the capabilities of this platform and the potential it offers for enhancing my visual experience.

However, given my limited experience in working with the ESP8266 D1 Mini and setting up such projects, I would greatly appreciate any guidance and support you can provide. Specifically, I am seeking assistance with the following:

1. Understanding the necessary hardware components required for this setup, including any additional peripherals or accessories that may be needed.
  2. Detailed instructions on how to configure the ESP8266 D1 Mini to communicate with both the PC and TV effectively.
  3. Suggestions for suitable software libraries or frameworks that can facilitate the integration of Hyperion with the ESP8266 D1 Mini and ensure optimal performance.
  4. Any specific considerations or best practices that I should keep in mind while implementing this project.

I am committed to learning and investing the necessary time and effort into this project. Your guidance would be instrumental in helping me navigate the complexities and gain a solid understanding of the entire process.

Thank you very much for your attention and support. I look forward to hearing from you and embarking on this exciting Hyperion project.

1 Like

Hi Muhammad,

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

You haven’t specified what kind of lights you want to use for your Hyperion build but I’d recommend having a read of Adafruit’s NeoPixel Uberguide, specifically the section on best practices for wiring LED strips to prevent damage and signal issues.

We’ve got a guide that covers the popular hyperbian, Raspberry Pi implementation of Hyperion, it won’t all be directly relevant to you if you’re looking to install via an ESP8266 but some of the later setup of the Hyperion interface itself will have overlap.

I had a Hyperion build previously and one small issue I had was that when my HDMI capture card detected no signal it would display a rainbow test pattern via USB to Hyperion, which of course meant whenever I turned my TV off the whole wall went rainbow. There may be a work around for this since I built my setup, otherwise it might be worth a trawl through the Hyperion forum to see what capture cards and devices others are recommending as easy to work with.

Welcome Muhammad!

Another thing worth noting is that you wont be able to use the ESP8266 to process video signal, HDMI(and USB) as a protocol is very fast compared to what microcontrollers are used to dealing with (its working at a base level with a demo board from Adafruit).

To process this you’ll likely need an SBC like a Raspberry Pi.

The ESP8266 would be able to handle driving the LEDs.