Serial Monitor problems

Hello gurus,
Probably something I missed doing, BUT: With my real Uno, my serial monitor was always working OK when running the program. It always opens on Port 3
I then purchased a couple of geekcreit compatibles and the serial monitor does open up, but does not show anything how/when the code is executed.The geekcreit port is always Port 8.

Can someone enlighten me, please. Is this “normal behaviour” and just due to the different manufacturer or have I missed something in the set-up?
BTW, the “kinetic sculpture” should be up and running next week.
Thanks Gurus.
Frank

Probably due to different USB/UART chips on the boards. “Genuine” Arduino boards typically use a CP2102 chip, while the Geekcreit boards use a CH340 chip and save a few pennies.

Different chips, different drivers, so different ports.

The functionality is still the same.

2 Likes

Hi Frank.

The CH340 chip needs the correct driver installed, but you say it is seen on port 8 and that indicates the driver is installed. Use Windows Device Manager to explore.

I take it you are able to upload yr sketch to the geekcreit board, yes?

Thanks Gurus,
In the mean time, I installed CH340, so everything should be OK in the future. For a newbee like me, problems are challenges wand with good people to help on this forum it’s not a bad experience :slight_smile:
Cheers to all
Frank

2 Likes