SIM7600G-H Module and Optus/Testra 3G closure

Hi,

I purchased the “Global” version of the SIM7600 from here a little while ago, in anticipation of the 3G shutdown.

The dates are now firm - Telstra by the end of June this year, followed by Optus in September.

I am with Optus, and despite using this module, they are frequently sending me emails saying “I have a device that may be affected by the shutdown”. This is ramping up now.

I only use the module for alarm system control using SMS - no Voice (which requires VoLTE be set up for the device to be supported), so am wondering if the unit will continue to function after June/September.

Has anyone got any experience with this and the upcoming closures?

I am sending sms using the basic commands (AT+CMGS etc), and not creating any deliberate data connections. I can confirm the device uses Optus B28, which will be required after September, but I am not explicitly configuring the device to force use it.

SMS functionality is typically not affected by network shutdowns, as SMS operates on the control channel of the network. Your alarm system should still be able to send and receive SMS messages even after the 3G shutdown.