SparkFun Triad Spectroscopy Sensor - AS7265x (Qwiic) (SEN-15050)

This is a placeholder topic for “SparkFun Triad Spectroscopy Sensor - AS7265x (Qwiic)” comments.

The SparkFun Triad Spectroscopy Sensor is a powerful optical inspection sensor. Three AS7265x spectral sensors are combined alongside a visible, UV, and IR LEDs … read more

Read more

I wanted to do a project to identify the presence of different types of oils used in food.

my question is about SparkFun Triad Spectroscopy Sensor. “will it be able to identify the types of oils from food?”. lets say from samples of olive oil, coconut oil, pig oil. can we recognize it separately from a food item using this sensor.

Honestly I do not know, I think that it may be possible though having said that I am not sure how. It works by reading how the reflections change the light as is bounces off the surface of the material. I think this might be something you need to experiment with, I have seen similar done in the past but they used a lot of neural net based training to determine the presence of the elements they were looking for.

Thanks for reply Mr Clinton…
But I need someone from core electronics to confirm me if it is not useful to identify the type of oils.

1 Like

Hi Sriya - looking for a solution? If you understand that you are dealing with 3 parts of the electromagnetic spectrum 0 UV (400nm and lower-number), Visble to human (400+ to 700nm) and IR (700nm and higher-number but lower spectrum in like red-heat). So you now know what you are illuminating the olls with - see what the response is - you might find a distinguishing combination (because some oils absorb IR - so it in the camera view it will look “black”. Using this technique - Because you cannot see the UV and IR the camera has to do this or you. That means the camera “converts” the non-visible parts of the spectrum to human visible spectrum. Understanding this - you might be able to use some technique to bring out differences in the behaviour of the oils to the different lights or even the channel along which it flows for inspection. Requires a but of R&D. Good luck with it.

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

I have a doubt. in the banana reading example, for the frequency 410nm, 827.97 is the count value. what is this actually?
count range in the graph is shown 0 to 8000 and the wavelength is 410 to 940.
I still didn’t get concept of how this basic reading library works technically?