Stepper motor driver for Teensy 4.0

What stepper motor driver do you recommend for a Teensy 4.0? I will need 4.

Searching your web site and I can find drivers that are listed as 3.6V input. The Teensy 4.0 pin outs are listed as 3.3V. I don’t know if this is a problem.

For my project, the only thing the Teensy will be doing is driving 4 stepper motors.

1 Like

To answer my own question, I could use some logic level converters to convert the 3.3V to 5V. I would then have a large choice of 5V stepper motor drivers.

If I use both 3.3V and 5V power supplies, I could use a logic level converter that requires both, such as the “Logic Level Converter Bi-Directional (BOB-12009)”.

If I use only a 3.3V or 5V power supply, I could use a logic level converter that requires only a single power supply such as the " SparkFun Logic Level Converter - Single Supply (PRT-14765)".

1 Like

Hey Kevin,

Excellent solution, just be sure to check that the current limits of the converter aren’t reached when you’re using it between the two devices. It shouldn’t even come close, but it’s worth a quick look at either way.

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

2 Likes

Recently used this Stepper Driver with a number of different Stepper Motors, worked quite well. Make sure to set the max current correctly or you could fry the Stepper Motor.
Used successfully with Arduino UNO and Raspberry Pi, no need for a level converter.

Cheers
Jim

2 Likes