TB6600 contoller

I recently purchase the TB6600 for an Arduino cotoller rotary table project.
It works on 12 volt but the stepper need more power. I have connected 19 volt supply and now 24 volts. With each the units cuts out in less than 5 seconds. Green light goes out blue remains constant.
Any ideas please.
Cheers Ian

3 Likes

Hi Ian,

Have you configured it for the correct current rating for your steppers? You’ll need to set the dip switches to set the current limit of the driver to match your motors to get maximum performance out of it.

3 Likes

I have had it set on max amp setting.
Power supply is 4 amp.
Stepper is rated at 5.6 amp but i dont think it will draw that much.
The 12 volt supply ran to unit but i cannot get any joy from 19 or 24 volt.
Ian

3 Likes

The stepper is sanyo denki
Type 103H7127-6646
12-200 volt 5.6A

3 Likes

Hey Ian,

To confirm, this was the stepper you’re trying to use with the TB6600 (the 103H7127)? This datasheet only contains specs up to the 103H7126 but they should be quite similar.

https://www.sanyodenki.com/archive/document/product/servo/catalog_E_pdf/SANMOTION_F2_E.pdf

From what you’ve described it sounds like the motor may be drawing excess current at 19-24V and causing a voltage drop on your stepper driver which is significant enough to cause it to drop out. Even though your power supply and TB6600 can handle up to 4A, the driver is rated for 3.5A at the highest with 4A being peak. If your stepper draws current instantaneously when at a stop which exceeds this it may be just enough to cause the supply/TB6600 to cut out.

Do you happen to have an ammeter or clamp that you can use to measure the current spikes from the motor at various voltages to determine how much it is drawing at peak when first moving?

3 Likes

I will take some readings with a tong test.
Can Core supply a stepper controller that will handle the motor?

2 Likes

It will indeed given the opportunity. A stepper coil is almost a short circuit to DC, however under transient conditions the inductance of the coil and back EMF from a moving rotor come into play. The goal of a chopper driver like the TB6600 is to keep things in a transient state and prevent high currents from flowing through your motor coils.

This does however mean a voltage drop across the stepper driver, and that means heat.

This is simply a case of pairing a stepper driver with a motor that is too big for it. You could run it with the TB6600, but as it’ll constantly be cutting in to prevent over current - especially under heavy loads like when starting up - you’ll want to configure it for a lower value than 4A to limit the heat build up.

Try it down at 3A and see if it still cuts out.

But yes, you really just need a much more powerful stepper driver for that motor (or a smaller motor).

This is the biggest stepper driver we have, and even this will be working hard to power your motor. You’ll need to add heatsinks and probably a fan for cooling to get a reasonable amount of performance from your motor.

It’s also avaialble with a few more control interfaces (including USB):

4 Likes