Using Hologram SIM card for Text messages

Hi All

I want to send Text messages from a BeagleBone Black with a SIM7600SA gsm modem.
I have not been able to get a response from our national carrier, as they sell IoT sim cards on plans.

Only just discovered Hologram SIM cards, and need to know if these are suitable for sending Texts from the above modem to a Mobile phone in Australia.
It is intended as a low volume Alarm notifier.

Regards

1 Like

Hi JW,

I believe I had a look a while back to do just this, but found that yes, Hologram is designed to be data only, rather than SMS.

I’d say a regular sim with a long expiry (Aldi comes to mind but it’s becoming more common) might be the go here

Is there any reason you need to go with an IoT specific SIM?
-James

Hi All
Thanks for the reply James.
I tried the standard Optus sim and don’t recall the Error, but something along the lines of
“This device or service not enabled”
Aldi looks like they have dropped the cheap sms only sim and only sell more costly plans.

I would have thought data sims were also capable of sms, but not voice calls.

Regards

1 Like

Hi JW,

While it looks like James may have only used these for data, Hologram offers SMS numbers to attach to your service, and you can also use their API or dashboard too! Take a look:

Shame that Aldi no longer offer their long-expiry plans, as were a favourite amongst owners of phone-operated gates and the like, but I’m sure Google has your back when it comes to tracking down their successor.

All the best with the project, and let us know if this makes more questions spring to mind!
-James

1 Like