Wav file mixing card

Does anyone know if the wav players that have an included SD card are able to play multiple files at once?

I’m after something that I can offload the mp3 or wav playback to, but be able to start multiple files from the SD card and just have the device mix them together. Controlled via i2c or spi does not really matter, so long as I don’t need to send audio data down that channel…

Do any of the current swathe of audio boards support this?

3 Likes

This functionality will depend on the decoder chip, and none of the chips currently being used for the generic “DF Mini” MP3 players (such as the MH2024) support this.

There are other modules available - If you can identify the decoder chips used then the chip datasheet would indicate whether or not two simultaneous data streams are possible, and the module control commands would indicate whether or not it is implemented.

With some clever manipulation of the MP3 file it is possible to get two different data streams on the two stereo channels. But this would require a player where you can create the datastream on the fly and stream it to the decoder, which is exactly what you don’t want to be doing (and in any case it would be simpler to use two players).

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply Jeff…

I was actually wondering about the VS1053 based ones which are much newer than the DF Mini players…

I’ll do some looking around…

2 Likes

The chip datasheet is here. It supports a single data stream. The enhancements over older products are in the variety of formats it can handle and some audio processing features.

3 Likes

I also came to the same conclusion…

Oh well, it seems mixing audio on the fly and controlling via a i2c or SPI connection is not something I’m going to easily accomplish…

Unless I offload the sound to a rPi zero, which seems a little overkill (and costly) but would be possible.

3 Likes