WiFi Setup on RetroPie

On RetroPie, I am having trouble entering my own password for the WiFi.

I can’t get the keyboard to come up so I can enter my WiFi password, can someone suggest a way to solve this please?

3 Likes

Hi Beau,

I’m assuming that these are the instructions that you’ve tried to follow to set this up so far? The link I provided above has an anchor to the heading Connecting to WiFi Without a Keyboard. I’ve copied the body of it through into this post for you:

Do this with the RetroPie SD card attached to a desktop PC. Create a file called wpa_supplicant.conf in the /boot folder (boot partition) using the following template. This will be moved automagically at next boot of the RetroPie to the /etc/wpa_supplicant/ directory.

### Important: Change country=US to your country
country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

# RETROPIE CONFIG START
network={
    ssid="your_real_wifi_ssid"
    psk="your_real_password"
}
# RETROPIE CONFIG END

Make sure to include the # RETROPIE CONFIG START/END lines as shown to ensure that the RetroPie-Setup WiFi configuration module will be able to cleanly edit/delete your configuration, if you wish to change it later.

2 Likes

You may get help from this too

2 Likes

Thanks for your help I tried this and when I power it up all I’m getting on the monitor is a black screen.

1 Like

Thanks for your help I tried this and it did not work my ip address is not showing in retro pi.

1 Like

Hey Beau,

Have you managed to get anything to flash up on a connected screen when the Pi boots up? If you take the SD card out of the Pi and boot it up, do you get the bootloader screen showing on your monitor?

Cheers,
Blayden

1 Like

The pie boots up and just just brings a black screen I’ll try and remove the sd card and see what happens.

2 Likes

Hey Blayden I tried without the sd card and Notting happened when I tried to boot it up. So I unplugged the power to the pi and put the sd card back in and powered the pi back up and it booted up but just shows a black screen.

1 Like

Hi Beau,

Sounds like your Pi is well and truly dead, but there are a couple things I want to check before we transition to email for the RMA process.

Could you share the following:

• A photo of your setup
  • Info on the power supply and case you were using - just looking to rule out damage through ESD or a bad PSU.
1 Like

The pi works fine in my retro flag gpi case

1 Like

I’m still having no luck getting the wifi to work.

1 Like

Has anyone got anymore suggestions to help I just can’t seem to get it to work.

1 Like

Hi Beau,

Sorry we didnt get back to you sooner!

Would it be possible to send through a photo of the case you are using it in? There definitely shouldnt be a black screen on power up.

Just confirming what you mean by works fine - do you get greeted by the RetroPie screen?

Liam

1 Like

Hey @Beau162949

I’ve been playing with the RetroFlag GPi case and have found a few things:

1. Initial setup of the case with the Pi Zero W required that you install 2 scripts: a script for Safe Shutdown and one for outputting video over GPIO exclusively.

You can find the link to the file when you go to their Support Page:

If you download the zip file, you can see from the readme.txt file in the GPi_Case_patch folder:

Why need to install display GPi Case patch for Retropie and Recalbox? 
Because Retropie and Recalbox system default display output is HDMI, GPi Case need to transfer display output to GPIO then can work correctly.

For Windows:
Install display patch for GPi Case
1.Copy CPi_Case_patch folder to SD root.
2.Enter GPi_Case_patch folder and run install_patch.bat
3.Patch done. SD card can be used for GPi Case cartridge.

Uninstall patch can transfer to HDMI output again
1.Enter GPi_Case_patch folder and run uninstall_patch.bat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For MacOS:
1.Backup config.txt and /overlays/dpi24.dtbo to safe place.
2.Copy /GPi_Case_patch/patch_files/config.txt to SD card root.
3.Copy /GPi_Case_patch/patch_files/overlays/dpi24.dtbo and pwm-audio-pi-zero.dtbo to SD card /overlays folder.

Want to transfer to HDMI output again
1.Copy the backup config.txt to SD card root.
2.Copy the backup dpi24.dtbo to SD card /overlays folder.

If I had to guess you are currently running your SD card with this patch active, which explains why HDMI isn’t working.

There’s are a few ways forward:

1. We could fix the wpa_supplicant file to connect you to WiFi (that system of connecting to wifi networks is pretty well-understood)
    OR
  2. You could do a fresh install of the retro-pie OS and start from scratch to get it setup (requires you run the setup scripts on the sd card)
    OR
  3. You could attempt to download and run the unpatch script, get the Pi connected via HDMI, change what you need via the user interface, then shut down the Pi, run the patch script and put it back in your GPi case (requires you run 2 of the scripts, instructions below).

To Uninstall the Patch (Enables HDMI so you can put the Wifi credentials in with keyboard and mouse)

Download the file, extract it’s contents, copy the entire folder to the root directory of your Pi SD Card

2.Enter GPi_Case_patch folder and run uninstall_patch.bat

Open the Folder on the SD Card that you just copied and double-click/run the uninstall_patch.bat file

Safely remove the SD Card, replace into Pi and use with HDMI.

To Run the Patch (Disables HDMI, lets the GPi screen display Pi stuff)

Download the file, extract it’s contents, copy the entire folder to the root directory of your Pi SD Card

2.Enter GPi_Case_patch folder and run install_patch.bat

Open the Folder on the SD Card that you just copied and double-click/run the install_patch.bat file

Safely remove the SD Card and replace it to the GPi Cartridge

There’s probably some other options too, I’m just thinking out loud based on what you’ve said and done.

4 Likes

Would someone be able to help me through this by working remotely.

I really do need the help I’m not that good at this stuff.

Hey Beau,

We can’t do any of this stuff remotely unfortunately. Did the post above make sense?

2 Likes

Not really because I’m not good at this sorry

1 Like

Hey would a Bluetooth keyboard work

1 Like

Would I be able to post the retroflag gpi case to you guys so you could setup the keyboard so I can enter my password so I can have wifi or could you send another SD Card that is setup for me to help.

1 Like