Wireless Charging Module 5V/1A (DFR0362)

This is a placeholder topic for “Wireless Charging Module 5V/1A” comments.

Wireless charging uses an electromagnetic field to transfer energy between two objects. This is usually done with a charging station. Energy is sent through an inductive coupling to an electrical device, which can then use that energy to charge batteries or run the device.

Read more

I am setting up a battery charging module using this wireless module. The module works fine and outputs 5v and 0.7A. The battery takes the charge and charges up just fine, but I would like to know if the power will cut off and stop being delivered to the battery when the battery is full. If this is not a function of the module, how would I go about implementing a cutoff? thanks!

Hi Tyler,

This device is only capable of passing energy across the two coils. It has no impact on what you use that power for on the other end. If you are charging a battery you will need a battery charger or some other circuit to control it.

Hi I’m looking at the Wireless Charging Module 5V/1A and was wondering if I can:

1. Power an Arduino board
  2. Use the transmitter on the digital pin and PWM to power LEDs and other things?
  3. Reduce the voltage onboard for 3.3V components and boards?
1 Like

Hi Zedz,

Welcome to the forum!!

Just to confirm were you looking to power the Arduino with the ‘Wireless Charging Module’?
If you connect it to the 5V pin it should work.

In regards to question 2: were you looking to control the LEDs via this module through an IO pin?
The IO on most Arduino’s can only output milliamps of current, this module requires can drive up to 1A and expects a DC input - so no PWM (so that the onboard circuitry can control the pulsing to ‘transmit’ the power - this module is a transformer, it just comes in a different form factor).

Question 3: You can definitely reduce the voltage although you’ll need another module to do so, since this is a switch mode device I’d steer well clear of cascading another.

If you’re trying to get some LED’s in tight places, I’d check out Chris’s project here: Hogwarts Lights - Tutorial Australia
And his relevant forum topic: Project by Chris; Hogwarts Lights - #4 by Chris44916

Liam

In regards to question 2 : were you looking to control the LEDs via this module through an IO pin?
The IO on most Arduino’s can only output milliamps of current, this module requires can drive up to 1A and expects a DC input - so no PWM (so that the onboard circuitry can control the pulsing to ‘transmit’ the power - this module is a transformer, it just comes in a different form factor).

So I can use it as a digital IO (depending if I hook up the receiver or the transmission end) but no PWM?

you can definitely reduce the voltage although you’ll need another module to do so, since this is a switch mode device I’d steer well clear of cascading another.

So in theory I can hook up a voltage regulator on the receiving end? (Can I do that one the transmitter instead?)

Sorry for all the questions, just need to know how versatile the part is.

2 Likes

Hi Zedz,

I’d stick to a very very low duty cycle, something like turning it on for about 5 seconds or so every minute. To allow enough power to the module you’ll need a ‘switching’ module such as a relay or MOSFET to allow for more power to goto the wireless transfer module.

Although lossy I’d try and keep to using a strictly linear supply or a voltage divider lower the voltage.

For this project would it be possible to use a battery?

We’re here to help out! No worries at all :smiley: As interesting as these modules are a simple battery will always keep things portable and hassle free!

Liam

1 Like

I am mostly just going to power my board via contact. The other questions are just me wondering out loud.

I am trying to figure out how to “turn on” the board/other stuff when it’s in the right place.

2 Likes

Hi Zedz,

Gotcha, I’d also take a look at these magnetic connectors: https://core-electronics.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=magnetic+connector

They’re pretty interesting!
Liam

1 Like

Hi,

I received the product a couple of weeks ago. While it seems to be working, I realise some of the components do not seem to match the image on the product page.

hi is there any update on this?

I think the purpose of this is to pass power to the other side of the circuit. Where you use the power or what you use it for was not a factor in the circuit. Therefore, if you are focused to utilize the power in a controlled manner, you have to look for charge controller for that to be achieved.
Thank you!

Hi Zedzz,

From the product images, they seem to be filtering capacitors. I image they’re there to try and prevent overshoot when the IC onboard generates the alternating wave to transmit the power - it shouldn’t be overly critical they’re there. (if you have a scope handy a good exercise would be to measure with and without the cap).

Understood, I’ll try to figure that out.

Also, sometimes when I put the coil on the receiver it takes a while for the board to load the program(playing the buzzer) even though the light on the board is on.

I did try to hook up the receiver coil to a vibration motor and it works perfectly. it just seems like the Arduino is taking longer to “boot” for some reason…