XBoard V2 - A Bridge Between Home and Internet (Arduino Compatible) (DFR0162)

This is a placeholder topic for “XBoard V2 - A Bridge Between Home and Internet (Arduino Compatible)” comments.

This is Version 2.0 of the Xboard. The main improvement is that it now operates at 5V, making it compatible with most sensors and I2C protocol with out the need of a voltage level converter. The XBoard is a unique Arduino board which features a WIZnet ethernet port, an XBee socket, and an ATMega328. This board will add wireless XBee control as well as internet connectivity to your projects. Its great for anything from home automation to robot control. The possibilities are endless!

Read more

Hi guys can this be used to connect a Xbee adapter to an UDP network via an Ethernet cable ? Thanks
XBoard V2 - A Bridge Between Home and Internet (Arduino Compatible)

Hi Vic,

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The manufacturer has an example project where they connected this module to their local network so they could control their office door via the internet. You can check it out here.

I’m not sure if a UDP connection mode is supported, is it a firm requirement for your project?

So what I have atm is a Panasonic fzg1 tablet with a autosteer gps program for a tractor . I have 2 modules being the steer module and an Imu module wired up with Ethernet cables to a wireless router . I also have the gps module which has a a Xbee USB adapter on it and is con nested via usb to the tablet which is playing up saying it’s not connected can’t find the port etc hence the reason I wish to hook it up via Ethernet cable.

1 Like

Hi Vic,

If you’re after a straight Ethernet-to-XBee bridge, this isn’t it, it’s just a microcontroller dev board with Ethernet and XBee connectivity, so you’d have to write your own firmware to receive the messages over wireless, and send them over Ethernet.

Does your GPS module have any other interfaces?

-James

1 Like

Hi James I’m not sure it’s an ardusimple kit

https://www.ardusimple.com/product/simplertk2blite-basic-starter-kit-ip67/
I was hoping to connect it via an Ethernet cable, ardusimple have 1 but it’s way too expensive hoping to find another way to connect it . Vic

Hi Vic,

It might be worth troubleshooting why the Xbee to USB adaptor isn’t being recognised by the computer before adding a layer of networking to connect that way instead.

The hookup guide for the Ardusimple kit you linked suggests a driver might be needed on your computer before windows will recognise it. Have you installed the windows driver for the converter board yet?

1 Like

Good question I don’t think I have downloaded anything in relation to it . Do You have a link for a download?

1 Like

I have a new adapter just hooked it up and it says it has the latest driver

1 Like

Hi Vic,

Please send a photo of both ends of your setup, the GPS/XBee end, and the XBee/USB end. That’ll help us narrow down your issue.

Looks like the XBee in this case is acting as a UART bridge. This would mean you’d (probably?) get NMEA sentences from the GPS module at the USB end. This is likely what your software is looking for.

Try using TeraTerm (windows) or Minicom (linux) to see if you are getting anything back from your GPS module.

What autosteer program are you using? What format does it expect the data in?

-James

1 Like

Ok will get those pics shortly the program is Agopengps

1 Like