DSI-1 vs HDMI-1 in Appearance Setting

Hi all,

I am new to raspberry pi however since my works as an IT tech is dead quiet due to stage 4 L/D I started playing with rasppi to kill time in-between family time. Now I have a question for everyone,

After I installed the display, I decided to tinkered with Appearance Settings as I normally use black background for all of my devices however what seems to be interesting is that upon tinkering with Picture as a background in DSI-1 tab, nothing changed as shown in the 7" display. But then, when I changed the background in HDMI tab, the change was reflected. Then I explored that DSI actually is, they are all referring back to this 7" display. My question is (outta curiousity): is this always the case?

The next question is: the touchscreen leaves a big gap between the location either my finger or my touchscreen pen and its arrow. Is there any way to fix this?

Cheers, guys.

IR

Hi Iman134848,

Hmm, I believe this would be the case as HDMI is set as your main display. If you disconnected the HDMI display then as it is then your primary display changes would happen through DSI-1

Is there a way to manually or forcefully assigned main display to DSI-1. Please note, if it doesn’t happen, that is fine, I can live with that however that is just for curiousity sake.

Thank’s for the reply.

Hi Iman,

Yes, there is a way to both force the display to output to a given part depending on the exact display that you’re using. As for fixing the issues with the screen not correctly, the tutorial below should be applicable for the majority of the touchscreen displays.

https://www.circuitbasics.com/raspberry-pi-touchscreen-calibration-screen-rotation/

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

Hi Bryce, thank’s for the link, I will check it out once I am done tinkering with kali. What I don’t understand is: the Pi is currently running kali for Pi however the touch screen operated accurately as opposed to raspbian. I ran the latest raspbian updated and upgraded but still the touch screen missed the spot by about 2-3 mm upon the touched spot.

The only thing funny in kali is that the touch pen, you know, the one with soft tip, didn’t work for some reason. It is like the screen is dumbdowned to understand it while finger or human skin works perfectly.

Anyway, I’ll check it out. Thank you for your responses.

Regards,

1 Like

Hey Iman,

Ah, it’s likely that running Kali on the Pi has updated the particular calibration settings to suit the display, you’d be able to find them in a document in the Pi (likely in Boot or another subdirectory of Root). It seems a little unusual that a different OS on the same hardware would change the setting regarding how hard the screen needs to be pressed, but it’s likely also a calibration setting which got changed which you should be able to modify. If there’s anything else that you need help with please let us know!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support