Enviro+ and Lightning Sensor on an RPi4

Hi There,

I am interested in measuring particulate matters in the air using a Pimoroni Enviro + HAT as well as detecting lightning using the Gravity Lightning Sensor and a Raspberry Pi4

However, before I buy these two items I was hoping to confirm that they would play nice together. Specifically, while the lightning sensor clearly indicates its I2C addresses (0x03, 0x02, 0x01), the Enviro+ unit does not and I was hoping to confirm that at least one of the addresses on the lightning sensor was available for use and would not interfeer with the Enviro+ unit.

In addition, the Enviro+ HAT appears to have a pin header on the board with 3V3, SDA, SCL and GPIO#4. This appears to be perfect to add the lightning sensor to (given the wiring diagram), but I just wanted to confirm that this was the case with someone a little more experienced than me.

Many thanks,
Ed.

Hey Ed,

Yes, the two I2C addresses used by the Enviro+ monitor are different to the options provided for the lightning sensor, you should be able to use both at the same time assuming that you’re able to wire the lightning sensor to the GPIO appropriately. Please let us know if there’s anything else that we can do for you.

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

Bryce has answered your question.
But this board from Pimoroni looks very interesting. During the bush fires last summer I used a PMS5003 to detect particles, it worked very well with Raspberry Pi and PiOLED 128x32 display. As you can interface that unit with this board I could enhance my project to include the gas sensor data.
Might look into that …

Cheers
Jim

PS Not all but some I2C devices can have the default address changed by software if there is a conflict.

1 Like

Hey James,

What an amazing application! It may be worth bringing up that idea with your local RFS in case they’d like to use your project in order to measure the effects of smoke inhalation in a few given areas across a network in order to determine where to send resources using the systems they’ve got in place currently.

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

Thanks very much for your assistance Bryce and James.

In actual fact, we currently operate a monitoring network in Victoria and the hope is that if I ca secure some funding that we can deploy some of these units (including the particle sensors) at different locations and feed that information back to the comunity.

Thanks once again for your assistance.
Ed.

1 Like

This is what I put together last year. It used a BMP280 for temperature / pressure and the PMS5003 for particles. The Pi was setup as a Wifi Hotspot for more detailed data than what is displayed on the tiny OLED display.

Time for a rebuild with the Pimoroni Enviro +, will look at submitting it as a project. Also plan for it to provide data online rather than connecting to it as a Hot spot. Will see how we go.

Cheers
Jim