Make a USB Video Looper with a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B

I’m having this problem as well, bumping for solution

2 Likes

Hi Phil and @Tony189742

We’ll do a quick test in support to see if these instructions are still current. Hang tight!

-James

2 Likes

Hi @Tony189742 and @Phill191882

We’ve done some bench testing here and it looks like Adafruit has been making updates to the video looper to try and make it compatible with Bullseye, in the process they’ve changed some things so it no longer automatically runs on startup.
We’ll update the guide soon so that it installs a known stable version and report back here once we’ve got it running again.

3 Likes

Thanks Trent, appreciate your help.

@Phill191882 @Tony189742

There’s just been a patch to software as you can see on the GitHub for the Video Looper.

There should be now be correct function of the Video Looper for either ‘Bullseye’ or ‘Buster’ Raspberry Pi OS :slight_smile:!

I just tested it and it all worked perfectly with ‘Buster’ OS. The guide is back in action and if you follow through like normal it should work for you too. Yay!

2 Likes

Thanks Tim,

I can confirm I have just reinstalled the looper and it is working perfectly fine for me now.

Thanks for all your help.

2 Likes

Thanks Tim, reinstalled and all working fine.

2 Likes

Hi ! I managed to install your looper, it works perfectly but I have an issue using a HyperPixel 4.0 - Hi-Res Display for Raspberry Pi : the video is squeezed, it seems that it doesn’t use the orientation of the screen (I can send you a picture, it will be easier to understand !)

3 Likes

2 Likes

But when I play the video with VLC, it goes well :

3 Likes

Hi Romain,

Welcome to the forum!!

It sounds like it might be an issue with your default display resolution, I’d check if any of the solutions on the Pimoroni GitHub issue topic work: PSA: HyperPixel 4 (Square & Rectangular) on Raspberry Pi OS 64bit 2022-04-04 · Issue #177 · pimoroni/hyperpixel4 · GitHub

Have you been able to get it working without the display being rotated?
Liam

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, I will try! I am not an expert, that’s my first project with a raspberry but yes it works with a “normal screen”, no problem at all. And I can play videos in full screen with that display when I use VLC, no problem at all too! It’s only when I boot on your player with that little screen, but as soon I escape the player, everything works well.

4 Likes

Hi Romain,

Just wanted to touch base, were you able to solve the issue?

I asked @Tim and he thinks that it may be something to do with the Codec, I’d give re-saving(H.264 is widely supported in Linux) the file a go and see if that works :slight_smile:

Liam

2 Likes

Hi, the omxplayer seems to be missing is there an alternate video looper?

Opps! I should read the whole tutorial and I am loading the older OS to fix the problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Beautiful project!

1 Like

Is there an update for ‘omxplayer’? When I install this with the latest versions I’m getting the following errors;

‘’’
Package omxplayer is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘omxplayer’ has no installation candidate
root@:~/pi_video_looper# apt-get install omxplayer
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
Package omxplayer is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘omxplayer’ has no installation candidate
‘’’

1 Like

Hi Shane,

If you can’t seem to find a package, you can always compile it from source. There is a helper script that is designed to work on native raspbian that should make things a bit easier, and instructions, here:

2 Likes

Hey there, I managed to install the video looper onto a raspberry pi model A+ after using it a while I have been missing out on the option to pause the content. Would this be possible and if so, how? I would like to do this with the use of a remote!

I Just installed the necessary files for this project. It works but it keeps looping. After I press ESC it exits but only for a few seconds after that it keeps looping. Do provide a solution to terminate this.