NB-IoT / eMTC / EDGE / GPRS / GNSS HAT for Raspberry Pi (CE07312)

This is a placeholder topic for “NB-IoT / eMTC / EDGE / GPRS / GNSS HAT for Raspberry Pi” comments.

This Raspberry Pi HAT features multi communication functionalities: NB-IoT, eMTC, EDGE, GPRS, and GNSS.

Read more

Hi Guys,

Does this board support LTE-CATM1? I saw on IoT Store that it supports CATM1, but there’s only mention of NB-IoT here.

Also, would this be compatible with the hologram global IoT card? Do you reckon those paired together would have decent coverage?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey Abram,

Welcome back to the forum!

SIMCom’s page for the SIM7000E does state it supports CAT-M1. For this specific board, I’d follow up with Waveshare as they are the OEM for this one and will likely have the best intel! There support page can be found here.

Regarding the Hologram SIM, I think that would be a good choice. Within Australia, Hologram partners with Optus, Telstra, and Vodafone. They also have this guide to get the SIM7000X modules up and running with their sims.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi Guys and Gals,

As this hat takes up all the GPIO pins, what’s the best way to connect a couple of extra sensors when using this? Eg - if I have a RPI Pico, and a couple of sensors where do the sensors connect to? This is a good solution if I can include a few sensor readings as well as GPS coords. Also - any chance that somehting like SPI / I2C could be made to work so I could poll other devices then use this as a central modem? I’m just struggling what to do conceptually without access to the GPIO pins.

1 Like

Hi Simon,

Your best bet there, might be something like the Pico Hat Hacker:

That’ll let you effectively split the pins, you might have to some experimentation with extra-tall headers to make sure everything fits to your liking.

Let us know what you think of that as an idea!
-James

1 Like