Nozzle clogging at same layer

I have a very intricate stl of a planter pot and it always clogs the nozzle at the same layer every time i try to print. Ender3 v2 neo with sonic pad clipper and cura profiles. Using pla silk

1 Like

Hi Garry,

Welcome!

Can you please send through a screenshot of your STL, if you show the preview around the layer that it fails that would be perfect.

Along with your retraction and temperature settings.

1 Like

Hi Garry,

If you print a larger easy calibration print does the issue still happen?
Your slicing settings look OK.

To tell you the truth I have been stuck on this issue for a fortnight and haven’t bothered to print anything else. I’m pretty sure simpler things will be ok as I haven’t had problems before. Guess I’ll just have to give up on this. It has an enormous amount of small retractions. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Garry,

If thats the case it might be worth turning off retractions as it can quickly wear out filament.

You got this!

Hey Gary,

Liams right on this one, retractions are going to cause issues with the filament if there’s an area with a bunch of retractions all at once, that section of filament is going to get chewed up by the gears in the feeder and will most definitely be causing issues when (or if) it reaches the hot end.

Cheers,
Blayden

Thanks for the heads up. I will give that a try. I hate to lose to a machine.

1 Like

Just to follow up on this problem I took your advice and turned off retraction to give it a try. Starting with the cura normal profile (for klipper) and set the nozzle temp to 220 , bed temp 60 (70 first layer). Pulled down the hot end and installed new .4 nozzle, calibrated pressure advance and Z offset. Started the print and at around layer 5 when it started to get really busy I dropped the speed by 50%. Printer is humming along as I type now at 44% and printing perfectly (very clean no zits or blobs) so I’m calling it a big win .

Thank you for good advice.

2 Likes

Hey Garry,

That’s an awesome thing to hear! 3D printers can be frustrating when there are issues with them and sometimes it can be a lot of trouble getting them printing how you want them. You seem to have taken every step to get this one fixed and I have to send my admiration for it.

Cheers,
Blayden

I am so impressed with the finished result, which I would have to say is one of the best and cleanest prints I have ever done, I am considering turning off retraction on all prints. Pressure advance seems to be doing a great job on its own. I am wondering if perhaps the retraction and PA may clash together. Your thoughts?

1 Like

Hi Garry,
Obviously every print is different and what might work brilliantly for some, might not for others. Never the less I encourage you to test it out and see how it goes.

Good Luck,
Sophia

1 Like