Pi Zero W Firmware showing Pi Model B+

I recently received my Pi Zero W and had problems trying to connect to wifi. When i installed RetroPie and went to WIFI to connect, no wifi SSID was listed. I used another SD card to write another image and it was the exact same problem.

I then used a friends Pi Zero W with both images and they listed the wifi SSIDs and connected fine.

I then check the firmware on both Pi Zeros and my one displayed Pi Model B+ and my friends had Pi Zero W V1.1

Is this something that can be fixed by updating the firmware?

HI Larry,

It definitely sounds like a software issue. What image are you using?

Hi Sam, I downloaded the ā€œRaspberry Pi 0/1ā€ image from https://retropie.org.uk/download/

The thing is it works fine on my friends Pi Zero W but not on mine and it is the same microSD card.

Do you think it is a software issue or a firmware issue on my Pi Zero W because I check the firmware and it showed Raspberry Pi Model B+ ?

Hmm,

When you say you ā€˜check the firmwareā€™ what exactly do you mean? All of the software that runs on a Pi is provided on the SD card. Try a different image perhaps, try NOOBS or raspbian and see if they work.

If youā€™re still having the same issue, then thereā€™s probably a weird, low level hardware bug.

I did did the below check in the teminal

cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model

I donā€™t believe the image is the problem, like you said all the software is provided on the SD card and I used the same SD cards on both Pi Zero W with different results so it looks like the only thing that are different between the 2 is the actual Pi Zero W board itself.

Yeah I think youā€™re right, but just to check against something else, can you try a different image?

Hey, @Larry17282,
Itā€™s super weird that an incorrect firmware appears to be running on your Pi. Iā€™ve verified my own PZW is running Raspberry Pi Zero W Rev 1.1

Follow Samā€™s recommendation of installing Rasbpian and see what firmware version is returned in that environment. If itā€™s still incorrect, the only potential solution that comes to mind is to execute sudo apt-get install rpi-update and then sudo rpi-update which is a firmware-update utility intended to run on Raspbian. This utility is largely unnecessary for most users, but given youā€™re apparently running the incorrect firmware to begin with I suppose it canā€™t hurt?

1 Like

Hi Sam/Michael,
I will try the Noob image and see what it comes back with. I didnā€™t want to try to do any updates in case it caused more damage than good.

It shouldnā€™t matter, but rather than using NOOBS, try raspbian directly as it will be a quicker process (the link I sent you is for straight Raspbian)

1 Like

Sam,
sure, Iā€™ll try that and let you know how it goes

1 Like

Hi Sam,
I have use the full Raspbian image you have suggested and checked the model.

below is a screenshot of the result.

You can see clearly printed that the board is ā€œPi Zero W V1.1ā€ but the model is stating ā€œRaspberry Pi Model B Rev 2ā€

It does not have wifi/bluetooth so I am unable to do anything such as updates or connect to the internet.

Interesting. Iā€™d like to get this back to investigate it further. Weā€™ll be in touch by email to arrange a swapsee

Hi Graham/Sam,
I received your email and will post it sometime next week and let you know when its on its way.

1 Like

Hi there.
Not wanting to hi-jack the thread, my new Pi Zero W shows ā€œRaspberry Pi Zero W Rev 1.1ā€ when I do cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model. Still no wifi though.

I have another thread open re this so will go back there now:)

Thx
Jon

1 Like