Piicodev Raspberry Pi Adapter

Hey! This may sound like a stupid question, however I was wondering whether the PiicoDev Adapter for Raspberry Pi was compatible with the Raspberry Pi Zero W and it’s successors, not exclusively the 4 and 400.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Hey @Ezra224017 - it certainly is compatible with the Pi Zero family (zero, 2, W, 2W)

1 Like

Wow, that’s great, thanks for the reply @Michael. I have 2 more questions:

1. I have the Adafruit Case for the Raspberry Pi Zero. Would you happen to know if the Piicodev Raspberry Pi Adapter would fit with the Pi Zero still in the case?
  2. How would I go about uploading Piicodev code to the Pi Zero? It doesn’t show up as a mass storage device like the Pico does.
1 Like
  1. It looks like the case has been designed with HATs in mind - the adapter ought to connect without any issues. I haven’t gotten hands on with a case so i couldn’t tell you for certain.

2. Follow the Raspberry Pi instructions in the guide - there you will install PiicoDev as a Python package using Thonny or Pip. Which PiicoDev device are you looking to use? If you’re struggling to find the right resource let us know here and we can point you in the right direction.

1 Like

I am fine with finding all the tutorials, the guides are excellent! I was hoping to be able to use Piicodev with the Raspberry Pi Zero without it being a desktop environment installation (headless). Is there any way to do this?

1 Like

The guides focus on Thonny, which is just an editing environment for Python. You can still write your own python scripts however you like and execute them from the command line as follows:

Install PiicoDev using pip3 in the command line:

sudo pip3 install piicodev

This will install all the PiicoDev modules for Python3.

Then you can execute your python script my_script.py using

sudo python3 my_script.py

This all assumes you have the I2C interface enabled. From memory you do this by editing /boot/config.txt or running the config utility sudo raspi-config (docs)

2 Likes

Ahh that makes sense! It just never occurred to me that Piicodev had a pip package. Thanks for your help.

1 Like