Polymer Lithium Ion Battery - 400mAh (CE04375)

This is a placeholder topic for “Polymer Lithium Ion Battery - 400mAh” comments.

These are very slim, extremely light weight batteries based on the new Polymer Lithium Ion chemistry. This is the highest energy density currently in production.

Read more

Hi guys I am looking for a LIPO battery for a BeeBot. The battery size is roughly 34x30x6 it is a 3.7v 500mAh. Full river is the make and other info I have is Silverlit 753032 MT5C and 140913-18 but am having trouble finding a replacement.

Hey mate, are you wondering if this particular battery will do the job? It appears to be of the specs you gave in your post above. Let me know how we can help!

Hi
The details on the battery says 3.7V 500mAh on the picture but the heading says 3.7V 400mAh.
Can you please confirm it is 3.7V 500mAh?

Hi Brad,

It is 400mAh. At one stage this was a 500mAh battery although we changed it to a 400mAh as it was a better size solution for wearable / smaller projects.

1 Like

Could you please confirm the exact JST connector type that these battery leads have? ie does it have a 2.0mm or a 2.54mm pitch?

Hi Peter,

It’s a JST-PH connector. It’s 2mm variant, we’ve put a guide together if you were curious about other specs

1 Like

Hello I am chasing a replacement battery for my Navman MIVUE Drive LM navigational device. It is 3.7V with a

3.7 wh number as well. It has a red and black wire attached with some other numbers such as 45406 0P.

Can anybody suggest where I made get a replacement. It also is quite thin.

2 Likes

Does it look like this:
3.7V 1300mAh 454060 Lithium Polymer Li Po li ion Rechargeable Battery

You can check that it’s 40mmx60mmx4.5mm. I can’t see that Core stocks anything of that size.

1 Like

Firstly thanks for your reply.
That appears to be exactly what I am looking for.
The red and black wires are soldered to the circuit board.
Do you have in stock.
Thanks
Ross

2 Likes

Hi Ross,

Unfortunately, Core don’t have a battery equivalent in size to the one Jeff linked from Aliexpress.

If you’re after any supporting parts like wires or connectors, let us know and we’ll have a look

-James

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.
I have been able to purchase what I think is the right one from Ali Express. I believe it it on the way as I have paid for it.
Thanks for your help.
Regards
Ross

2 Likes

Can someone please confirm if this battery will work with a Wemos D1 Mini and this battery shield? Many thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi Tim,

This battery will indeed work. The wiring however for these lipos is only rated at 1A. I see the charge rate of your battery shield is max 1A which would be a little to high for this lipo and wires. I’d recommend charging at around 400mA which corresponds to the lipo capacity and is suitable for the wiring too.

3 Likes

Hi @Matt,

Thanks for the info. Can you please confirm how I would charge at 400mA? Thanks.

1 Like

Hello again @Matt,

After re-reading your post, I now better understand your meaning. So I’m stuck with having to purchase another charger or another LiPO right? Any suggestions for either? Thanks.

1 Like

Hey Tim,

That battery shield you linked looks like it has a solderable jumper to set the charge current, but it’s only 500mA or 1000mA: (EDIT: Read to the end! This might be incorrect!)

The way these jumpers work is usually by setting the voltage on a pin with a resistor divider. If you’ve got one of these shields already, you could lookup the datasheet for the charge IC and swap out the resistors for a higher value which will set the charge current you need.

It’s much easier (but less educational!) to switch to a bigger battery or a different shield though.

I see you’ve purchased one:

From that link, here’s the schematic:

If we just google for ‘TP5400 Datasheet’ we find this datasheet which looks to be all in Chinese:
TP5400.PDF (563.7 KB)

Not to worry! Most of the important stuff is the same in any language, and fortunately, google translate on your phone is pretty good these days :wink:

This looks to be the typical application circuit, and you can see they’ve called the pin that controls the charging current ‘PROG’

So we just look through until we find something about ‘PROG’ that’s worth translating…

You can try your luck with pointing your phone camera at your screen, but I’ve found the best way is to screenshot it and email it to myself, then import it into google translate (select camera, then import in the bottom right) - it gets the clearest image of the text and so gives the best results.

And here’s another section of interest a bit further down…

So, now we can see that actually, according to the datasheet this charging shield is wrong! Leaving the jumper open will indeed charge at about 1 amp, but shorting the jumper tries to push the charger well past its limits by drawing 1.6 Amps (1100 / 680 = 1.62A)! The charge IC is only rated to 1.2Amps max!

However, in my googling I discovered there’s a very similar version of this chip, the TP5410
TP5410.PDF (855.5 KB)

Which has a different formula for charge current based on RPROG:

The values for this IC actually match up with what they’ve used on the board (680 Ohms for 1A, 1.36k for 0.5A) - so perhaps they used to use the TP5400, and now use the TP5410? Then everything would all make sense.

If your board says TP5410 on it, then you should be able to desolder those two charge resistors and replace it with one that will set a suitable charge current for your battery, say 350mA.

To be honest though, unless there’s some strong reason to use the Wemos D1, Grab a Pico with headers and the CE Piicodev Adapter thing. It’s got a charge IC on it that will work out of the box with your 400mAh battery, and those guys have definitely done things right, as well as the Pico itself being very well supported.

3 Likes

Hi @Oliver33,

Thanks so very much for all the trouble you’ve gone to to reply to my post :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. I have to admit to not 100% understanding all the electronics theory but I did check the battery shield and can confirm the name on the chip is TP5400. So in that case, just to confirm, should it be able to charge the LiPo battery I purchased from Core Electronics? Ta.

3 Likes

Not a 400mAh, but you could swap out the charge resistors and replace them with one that’d set your charge current to about 350mA (safe with a 400mAh battery) using this formula:

2 Likes

Hi Oliver

Yes it is a problem. My way out of it is to try not to purchase anything from China but finding such products can be frustrating.
The second line of defence is if a supplier cannot provide data in English for a product then find a supplier that can.
Even if a particular product has to be made in China I prefer to pay a bit more and purchase locally as I have found the Chinese mail system really sucks. And in a lot of cases the cost is not that much more.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes