Problem booting retro Pi Images

Retro error Small

Hi Guys,

I have been having trouble with this error image with every single Retro image I have ever tried to use. I Have tried downloading images, buying images, everything to get one that works and I get errors everytime. I did some troubleshooting and read that I may need to upgrade the EEPROM and downloaded some files from Github to do so as directed and I still get the same issue? Can anyone point me in the right direction with this one?

Hi Taylor,

From the fuzzy image you posted, I think I can make out “This board requires newer software” and “get it from www.raspberrypi.org/something”

This means that your OS does not support the latest revision of the 8GB Pi you have, looks like this has been resolved on the newest versions of RetroPi, but see the forum thread below for a tested working weekly build:

If this doesn’t work, let us know and we’ll do some testing here on the bench :slight_smile:
-James

1 Like

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the rubbish screenshot. I’ll give this a go and let you know how it turns out.

1 Like

Im getting the exact same issue trying to run a Wolfanoz image file on a 256gb sdcard. I have tried 3 different formatting tools since I became aware of the exFat32 format issue but I am no further ahead. I have tried SD Card Formatter, AOMEI partitioner and diskpart.

I used your original 32gb card to set up my Pi and did the updates but does it right those to an Eprom on the card or to the sdcard as Im getting prompted that it is out of date, in which case I need to find a way to update using my 256gb boot card.

Am i missing something here?

I hope my image is clear enough.

Many thanks for your help.

Hi Paul,

I have since found that it is because the image was created on an older version of firmware it wont work. I managed to get something going by formatting another SD and installing the newest retroPi onto the SD, followed by transferring the roms from the image to the retro pi via the usb. Although you will lose all the optimizations created by wolfanoz. I was going to try putting the new retroPi on an SD then transferring all the files over the wolfanoz image but only replacing existing files. It could work, it could have a heap of errors. I’ll let you know when I get time to give it a crack.

Thanks very much for that, I really appreciate the help.