Raspberry Pi Camera Board v2 - 8 Megapixels (CE04421)

This is a placeholder topic for “Raspberry Pi Camera Board v2 - 8 Megapixels” comments.

The Raspberry Pi Camera Module v2 is a high quality 8 megapixel Sony IMX219 image sensor custom designed add-on board for Raspberry Pi, featuring a fixed focus lens. It’s capable of 3280 x 2464 pixel static images, and also supports 1080p30, 720p60 and 640x480p60/90 video.

Read more

1 Like

Great camera for the Pi that is a huge improvement over the already impressive v1.2 camera. The only thing that could improve it more would be the addition of an M12 lens holder, so that alternative (wide/narrow/zoom) lenses could be used, maybe the Raspberry Pi Foundation will surprise us with the v3

1 Like

The V2 was just released, so don’t hold your breath! It’s well priced for it’s features though.

How did you go with the libraries / code side of things?

Hi Graham,
We are building a vision system using opencv,
stuffed around lots at the start getting the hang of all the parameters to
get good picture in all conditions, the v2 is great as a drop on
replacement for the older camera and we hope the improved characteristics
will improve our results, I will update you further in a few weeks.

Maybe one of my personal pi3 projects would make a good project writeup,
not something I have done before but I am willing to give it a shot.

Chris

2 Likes

Nice Chris, I hope it all goes well!

Absolutely!

Is the Raspberry Pi Camera Board v2 in or out of stock? My email from you says it’s in, but your website says it’s out.

Is there any way to get 4 cameras either recording video or photos in quick succession similar to the Google Street view camera?

The sim is to use photogrammetry to digitise streetscapes for use in racing simulation.
Many thanks for any help provided.

1 Like

For a client I had six cameras producing HD video. That is a lot of data and the main consideration was loading of the wifi network and router as well as storage capacity on the server.

But for photogrammetry I think you need still images. For the same client I had multiple cameras taking still images at regular intervals for security surveillance and that was quite easy.

For photogrammetry strictly you need 360deg overlapping images unless you are always “driving forwards”. So you need to find the angle of view for the camera to work out the number of cameras you need. It will probably be a large number like 8-12 for 360deg unless you use a very wide angle lens. Other considerations are the image pixel size needed and the time interval between images. I used vanilla ftp to transfer the images and that worked well. All cameras need to take the image at precisely the same time and there is a trick in python to achieve that.

3 Likes

Does Raspberry Pi Camera Board v2 - 8 Megapixels work with the raspberry pi 4b 8gb?

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum, this camera will for on the Pi 4.

We have a setup guide here that uses a Pi 3 but it will be much the same to set it up on a Pi 4.

Good luck and if you have any more questions feel free to reach out!