Room for heatsink using Pi Hut tv case & tv hat w rpi 4b?

OK - have rpi 4b (4Gb) + Tv hat + pi hut tv case.
For extra cooling is there enough space left to place heatsinks on the rpi ?
Has anyone done this … what is best heatsink to use ??
btw - looked at

lastly has anyone put a fan in instead ? (if so where/how)

1 Like

Hi Ian,

I’ve used one of these little guys under a HAT on a project, so that’s what I’d recommend for the lowest profile option:

What sort of load will the Pi be under? Will it be in a small area with other hot devices?

1 Like

May be try using their own fan case config?

Drill a few more holes on the GPIO side of the case for the heat to escape across the chips. Use painters tape on both sides of the plastic and acrylic to make holes.

The TV Hat case has very poor ventilation for any fan, only holes are on the side just above the SD card port. To remove the heat efficiently, the air flow should be fully across the board.

1 Like

Not planning on permanent mount to back of TV (yet) … so not sure of load yet. Have heard that disabling video output when not needed - is a good idea. BTW - tx for your reply - I needed confirmation that there was enough room. Ian

2 Likes

Hi - interesting but the fan case mentioned seems to get in the way of the TV hat itself ( both the 20 pins and clearance for TV Hat). Extra holes seems a good idea … thanks. Ian

2 Likes

Put the fan on top, Ian.
I just noticed that the base of the case also has grille type openings. If you do not mind the Pi being not sexy with see through top, get another case or the base plate (if spares are available). Use the bottom plate of the 2nd case as the top of the first one. The holes for the standoffs appear like they will match. Looks like a 40x40mm fan will fit.

2 Likes

Just found something on the TV hat case, which made me curious, Ian.

Is the case symmetrical so that the top and the bottom can be exchanged in the same case? If so you would not need another case, just invert the base plate and the acrylic top. Probably would need new holes on the acrylic, if you want to VESA mount it or home grow a different solution.

2 Likes