SIM7020e and SIM7000

CONTEXT:
I had difficulties connecting my raspberry pi (tested on 3B+, 4 and 0) using SIM7000, so i purchased a SIM7020e. But this one also have similar connection issue.
I was using a Telstra data package pre-paid sim but after chatting to a support staff from core-electronics, replaced the sim with a “hologram” sim but still have the same issue.

WHAT IS THE ISSUE:
sim seems to be detected alright by the device. The device is unable to communicate with the antenna. I am not yet using my code. Just followed steps in this link:

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/SIM7020E_NB-IoT_HAT

and used the code provided by the company . Here are the outputs running the examples in the library:

AT example:
AT
OK
Wait 5 seconds…
AT+CGMR
1752B10SIM7020E

OK
AT+CPIN?
+CPIN: READY

OK
AT+CSQ
+CSQ: 0,0

OK
AT+CGREG?
+CGREG: 0,2

OK
AT+CGREG?
+CGREG: 0,2

OK
AT+CGACT?
AT+COPS?
+COPS: 0

OK

TCP example:

AT
OK
Wait 5 seconds…
AT+CGMR
1752B10SIM7020E

OK
AT+CPIN?
+CPIN: READY

OK
AT+CSQ
+CSQ: 26,0

OK
AT+CGREG?
+CGREG: 0,0

OK
AT+CGREG?
+CGREG: 0,0

OK
AT+CGACT?
AT+COPS?
+COPS: 0

OK
The module starts…
AT+CSOC=1,1,1
+CSOC:
Created TCP socket id 0 Successfully!
AT+CSOCON=0,2317,“118.190.93.84”
ERROR
AT+CSOSEND=0,0,“Waveshare Send to Socket id 0 using TCP”
ERROR

AT+CSOCL=0
OK
Close Socket

1 Like

This means you have no signal. Is the antenna properly connected and pointing away from the PCB?

This means you’re not connected to a network.

I have a sim7000e arduino shield and I did some work on getting it connected here:

If you’re having trouble I’d recommend getting SMS working before trying to tackle tcp/ip.

2 Likes

Thanks Oliver. well in my case, i am trying do it on raspberry pi. It doesn’t seem to work! this is the output from TCP:
OK
The module starts…
AT+CSOC=1,1,1
+CSOC:
Created TCP socket id 0 Successfully!
AT+CSOCON=0,2317,“118.190.93.84”
ERROR
AT+CSOSEND=0,0,“Waveshare Send to Socket id 0 using TCP”
ERROR

AT+CSOCL=0
OK
Close Socket

1 Like

Yes, you need to get connected to a network first. You can’t establish a TCP connection if you’re not connected to anything.

Definitely follow my advice above to get SMS working before adding the additional complexity of TCP.

3 Likes