Small Inductive Coil and 10 Wireless LED Kit - 5V (ADA5140)

This is a placeholder topic for “Small Inductive Coil and 10 Wireless LED Kit - 5V” comments.

Adding LEDs to anything makes it 5x better – it's a scientific fact! But when you have LEDs, you've got wires and power supplies and all that…

Read more

Hi there,

I have one of these that I am wanting to turn into something similar to a magnifying glass for a treasure hunt activity where you need to locate all the hidden LED lights!

I’m very new to this and don’t want to ruin my prototype - I was going to make a magnifying shape out of polymorph beads and form them by hand around a usb power source.
Can I encase the whole thing in polymorph or does at least one side of the copper circle need to be open to the air still?

What can be the maximum distance between the coil and the LEDs?

Hi Rooppoor
The text doesn’t say but it does have this little snippet
“You can also have the LEDs slightly outside the main ring, but, again, they’ll not light up as bright as if they’re right in the center.”
Which implies that the answer to your question is “not far” if the LEDs are outside.
Also does not indicate what power (Watts or Amps) is required although the thicker red and black wires might be a clue.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hi Bob and @Rooppoor212784

I’ve done a quick bench test to check the range on the LEDs and their power draw. My bench supply was giving out 5V@0.06A which increased to 0.07A when I dropped the metal ruler alongside the coil.

I’ve included some photos showing the LEDs as I dragged them away from the coil. It is important to note the orientation of the LED has a large impact on if the LED will be lit as LEDs oriented perpendicular to the magnetic field won’t induce any current in their coil.
There was a very slight bend in the coil so LEDs lying on their side were still able to draw power, if I flattened the coil all LEDs on their side went out completely.

1 Like

Hi Trent
Be a bit careful of that steel rule or anything else conductive for that matter. If there is anything coupled to that coil which looks like a shorted turn it will reflect a short into the primary (the large coil) which would probably be a disaster for that little transmitter device.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

@Trent5487676 & @Robert93820

Would either of you have any insight on my original question?

I have one of these that I am wanting to turn into something similar to a magnifying glass for a treasure hunt activity where you need to locate all the hidden LED lights!

I’m very new to this and don’t want to ruin my prototype - I was going to make a magnifying shape out of polymorph beads and form them by hand around a usb power source.
Can I encase the whole thing in polymorph or does at least one side of the copper circle need to be open to the air still?

Hi Jessie
Just looked up what Polymorph is. Seems to be a plastic so should have no screening or conductive properties. BUT, I am not qualified to guarantee this (called covering your back). If it behaves like most other plastics and has no metallic content you should be OK.

Of more concern is your use of a USB supply. I have not found any published info on current (Amps) requirements. I just noted the apparently thick red and black wire and took that to indicate a higher than “normal” requirement. This by the way will change with changing load like the number and brightness of the LEDs.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

Based on the technical specs on the product page, and Trent’s test:

• Voltage: 5V (draws ~60mA)
  • Sensing distance: 0 - 80mm
  • Module size: 16mm x 12mm x 2.5mm
  • Coil outer diameter: 70mm, inner diameter: 65mm, thickness: 0.5mm

The USB power supply should be fine. With the magnifying glass it should be OK, provided you don’t use any metal. It’s insulated and none of the coil needs to be in the open air. The range of 0-80mm is pretty close, but you could experiment a bit before you encase it in the polymorph.

A quick google indicates it’s probably just a wireless charging controller. Wiring it up to the 5V USB power source should be pretty straight forward too.

3 Likes

Hi Jessie,

That should be fine, just remember to mount the hidden LEDs so that their coils are likely to line up with the magnifying glass to maximise how far away your treasure hunters can pick them up.

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks to all for your assistance with my question.
The ‘treasure hunt’ turned out a treat!

1 Like