USB error on reboot - RPI Zero W - "usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71"

Hi guys,

I have just installed a fresh version of Rasbian stretch on my Pi zero w. Whenever I reboot the pi I get this error:

[ 1.433060] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 1.763033] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2.303051] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2.703189] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71

I have found another thread here (https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/9s5trg/read64_error_71_is_a_usb_auto_suspend_issue/) but it is unresolved. Have you got any ideas how this may have come about and how to solve it?

Thanks

Hi James,

This is typically caused by the power supply, or by drawing too much power through the USB port. Three questions:
Is your power supply connected to the correct port?
Are you using an official Pi Power supply?
What is connected to the USB Port when you get the error?

1 Like

Thanks Stephen - I had read that. The power is connected to the right port. I am using the official power supply that came in the kit. I am just attaching a wireless microsoft mouse.

Interestingly I didn’t have any issues when I was running the pre-loaded SD card in the kit.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

It really sounds like an image issue then. All the low hanging fruit don’t seem to be the issue. I would try re-imaging your card, or using another SD.

Great - I’ll give that a try

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi again,

I have tried re-imaging the SD numerous times and have also bought a new SD. Still not working. I then bought a new Pi Zero to see if that was the issue - still the same issue. I have also tried it with three different mice including a mouse with a cable - still no luck. I have also tried adding in “dwc_otg.speed=1” into cmdline.txt as suggested on some other forums - no luck. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Let me work through this, you are having the same error with multiple Pi’s, Mice, SD cards/images…

Have you tried different a different power supply? Is it the OTG cable adapter?

Yes that’s right. I have tried flashing both noobs and rasbian with the same problems. With noobs I dont get that error message but the mouse doesn’t work.

I haven’t tried a different power supply - I only have the Pi power supply that came with the kit. I am also using the genuine pi OTG adaptor that came with the kit. Is it possible that the monitor I’m using (reasonably old) is taking too much of the power or something?

Hi James,

I’m not sure exactly what the problem you are having is caused by, but since you have eliminated the Pi itself, the image, the SD card, and the mouse you are left with only two variables. The OTG cord and the Power supply. This error is known to be power related, try running off a phone charger or something and see if you get the error. The official hardware is pretty reliable but like anything its not infallible, and a fault with the OTG adapter cable or the power supply must be causing this error.

1 Like

Ok, thanks Stephen. I’ll try a different OTG cable and power supply to see if I can’t get it working.

Thanks

James

For anyone else out there with this same issues - changing the OTG cable was the trick for me.

James

2 Likes