Pi camera v2 not working

have tried different cables, only got 1 pi

just so you know , the other camera was identified as faulty on return

Yep, perhaps shoot an email through to support@coreelectronics.com.au and we can go from there

Hi,
I’ve received the same original error with my raspberry pi camera v2, however I was using raspistill -o cam.jpg.

raspistill -o cam1.jpg
mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component ‘vc.ril.camera’ (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component ‘vc.ril.camera’ (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly

I am using a newly downloaded Jesse Lite Image on a Raspberry Pi Zero W and have enabled the camera interface, though attempted using the camera after updating and upgrading when I had issues. I have also tried with a minimal version (i.e. no GPIO or loop) of the python code at https://core-electronics.com.au/tutorials/say-cheese-with-raspberry-pi-camera.html, and received this error message:

Python 3.5.3 (default, Jan 19 2017, 14:11:04)
[GCC 6.3.0 20170124] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> from picamera import PiCamera
>>> camera = PiCamera()
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 456, in _init_camera
    self._camera = mo.MMALCamera()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/mmalobj.py", line 2279, in __init__
    super(MMALCamera, self).__init__()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/mmalobj.py", line 633, in __init__
    prefix="Failed to create MMAL component %s" % self.component_type)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/exc.py", line 184, in mmal_check
    raise PiCameraMMALError(status, prefix)
picamera.exc.PiCameraMMALError: Failed to create MMAL component b'vc.ril.camera': Out of memory

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 431, in __init__
    self._init_camera(camera_num, stereo_mode, stereo_decimate)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 460, in _init_camera
    "Camera is not enabled. Try running 'sudo raspi-config' "
picamera.exc.PiCameraError: Camera is not enabled. Try running 'sudo raspi-config' and ensure that the camera has been enabled.

I’ve checked my cable connections several times and tried the alternative cables in the pack. After a bit of research I found a forum post with the same issue: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=160611#p1172999. I return the same supported=1 detected=0 from vcgencmd get_camera when using the v2 camera, though I receive supported=1 detected=1 for v1.3 camera.

I was able to borrow a raspberry pi 3B and a v1.3 pi camera for testing. Using the same sd card I wasn’t able to get the v2 camera working, however the v1.3 worked immediately. I tried the v1.3 on my pi zero and it also worked. From this observance there appears to be something wrong with the camera, or possibly some sort of setup for v2 that I have missed.

I have also attempted boosting the pi zero ram from 128 to 256, however this didn’t change the error.

A post was split to a new topic: Raspberry Pi Camera Not Working